How do I open a blank VI?

JDave

Does anyone know how to programmatically open a blank VI?

The menubar will be hidden, so I can't use the menu shortcut. The hook VI lv_new_vi.vi doesn't exist to call. I didn't notice an Application invoke node method. But there must be some other way. (Probably as easy as Ctrl+N ;) ).

David

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Sep 14 2007, 12:48 PM)

Does anyone know how to programmatically open a blank VI?

The menubar will be hidden, so I can't use the menu shortcut. The hook VI lv_new_vi.vi doesn't exist to call. I didn't notice an Application invoke node method. But there must be some other way. (Probably as easy as Ctrl+N ;) ).

David

There's an application scripting method 'New LabVIEW Document' which takes a numeric parameter and creates any one of the following: standard VI, global, control, polyVI, runtime menu, project, plus some templates of these types (I didn't try an exhaustive set of values). Unfortunately, it doesn't return a refnum to the created object.

I'm pretty sure there was also a 'New VI' primitive which created a new VI with various options for what kind, and returned a refnum for the created object. But it no longer appears in my Application Control palette. Must need a ReallySuperSecret... token (or legendary scripting license activation) to get to it now :(

Since none of this works in runtime, you were, of course, referring to creating a new VI while running the development environment, right? Why is the menubar of the calling VI necessarily hidden?

Dave

QUOTE(David Boyd @ Sep 14 2007, 01:42 PM)

There's an application scripting method 'New LabVIEW Document' which takes a numeric parameter and creates any one of the following: standard VI, global, control, polyVI, runtime menu, project, plus some templates of these types (I didn't try an exhaustive set of values). Unfortunately, it doesn't return a refnum to the created object.

I'm pretty sure there was also a 'New VI' primitive which created a new VI with various options for what kind, and returned a refnum for the created object. But it no longer appears in my Application Control palette. Must need a ReallySuperSecret... token (or legendary scripting license activation) to get to it now :(

Since none of this works in runtime, you were, of course, referring to creating a new VI while running the development environment, right? Why is the menubar of the calling VI necessarily hidden?

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I should have put this in the scripting forum, apparently. Both those suggestions work great. Somehow I missed the Application Method.

The 'New VI' primitive is still on the palette, at least the OpenG palette. I verified it still works in 8.2.1.

As for the lack of menubar, I am creating a standalone toolbar. If all other VIs are shut down, the toolbar still stays up because it is a VI. I wanted the option to bring up a blank VI so the toolbar wouldn't be so lonely.

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Sep 14 2007, 04:58 PM)

As for the lack of menubar, I am creating a standalone toolbar. If all other VIs are shut down, the toolbar still stays up because it is a VI. I wanted the option to bring up a blank VI so the toolbar wouldn't be so lonely.

Ah. For that, you may want the VI property 'Set Close If Lonely' to be set TRUE. This is a scripting property which must be set by the tool VI on itself each time it is invoked (it doesn't persist through a save on the tool VI). This is what allows the tool to be closed whenever LV detects that it's the last VI open. I used it on the Tunnel Wiring Wizard.

Also, there are scripting properties to set a VI as a 'system' VI, which is a mod that does persist when the VI is saved. This is a VI flag that causes the tool VI to be invisible to the hierarchy window (I think it has other effects, but I can't recall). Also set on the TWW, at least my original version.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dave