LabVIEW 7.1 SuSE issues

DAngstrom

Hello,

I just got into using Linux, and I tried installing LabVIEW 7.1 onto my work computer. I seem to be having trouble with getting the program to run correctly. After I start up the program, it opens up the program for about a minute, and then it crashes, giving messages such as invalid next size. It then proceeds through a backtrace. Is there any way to resolve this issue? I have heard of this problem occurring with Ubuntu, and I just recently removed that distro in exchange for openSuSE 10.2. Are there any suggestions for my situation?

Thanks

QUOTE(DAngstrom @ Sep 25 2007, 10:42 PM)

thanks to all

I tried using LabVIEW 8.0 instead of 7.1, and the install worked perfectly. However, when I tried to install the DAQmx files, I run into another problem. Can someone please help this noob?

You need to install the source for your kernel. In SuSE 10 the package is named "kernel-source". If that's already installed, then make sure that it was installed where we're expecting it. Look in /usr/src. There should be a directory which has the same name as is returned by the command "uname -r". If there isn't, then figure out which one is correct and make a symlink to it with that name.

QUOTE(Adam Kemp @ Sep 26 2007, 11:12 AM)

You need to install the source for your kernel.

Is the kernel rebuilt when installing LabVIEW, or is this only if you install DAQmx? I haven't dealt with *nix in some time, but I always shuddered when I had to rebuild the kernel for CAD applications years ago. Everything would look OK, then on reboot KABOOM! Load OS and start over...

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Sep 26 2007, 12:10 PM)

Is the kernel rebuilt when installing LabVIEW, or is this only if you install DAQmx? I haven't dealt with *nix in some time, but I always shuddered when I had to rebuild the kernel for CAD applications years ago. Everything would look OK, then on reboot KABOOM! Load OS and start over...

The kernel is not rebuilt for either, but the kernel sources are needed to compile some things for the DAQmx drivers. It needs to know how your kernel was compiled. Unlike Windows and Mac, Linux has no standard kernel build. Every distribution (or even every individual computer) can have a different kernel, and drivers have to be built to work with that kernel. So in order to ensure that the drivers are compatible they need the kernel sources that go along with your particular kernel.

This is probably covered in a README on the CD, so look for that.

QUOTE(Adam Kemp @ Sep 26 2007, 08:12 AM)

You need to install the source for your kernel. In SuSE 10 the package is named "kernel-source".

Thanks for the help Adam. I installed the kernel-source file, as well as the kernel-syms file. I am still plagued with bad luck however. Everytime I try to open a 7.1 VI file, the program instantly crashes. I have seen some people with this error, and I have tried updating to version 8.0.1. When I did that, I followed the instructions and ran a masscompile.vi, but even that crashes at some point. Any ideas? Thanks

QUOTE(DAngstrom @ Sep 26 2007, 01:39 PM)

Thanks for the help Adam. I installed the kernel-source file, as well as the kernel-syms file. I am still plagued with bad luck however. Everytime I try to open a 7.1 VI file, the program instantly crashes. I have seen some people with this error, and I have tried updating to version 8.0.1. When I did that, I followed the instructions and ran a masscompile.vi, but even that crashes at some point. Any ideas? Thanks

If the VI you're opening uses an IOName control or VISA then you may need to run 'updateNIDrivers' (/usr/local/bin/updateNIDrivers). You also have to run that every time you update the kernel version.