Typedef Combo or Ring Ctls Constants do Not Update Values

Hi:

I have noticed that updates to a typedef or strict typedef RING control, or the STRING COMBO control, do not propagate to existing instances of constants of that typedef control. The update that is important here is the list of available items to choose from.

The one that does this beautifully is the typedef ENUM control, but this one forces the user to enumerate the enum values in a sequential manner starting from zero onwards.

Does anyone know why the RING and STRING COMBO typedef constants on the block diagram are not updateable via the typedef definition? or is there perhaps a workaround to this?

Anthony

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Sep 30 2007, 09:19 PM)

This is a well documented aspect of LV. You should be able to find an answer by searching LV's online help. If not there, I guarantee there are posts here on LAVA about it.

Hi Aristos:

Can you shine some light on search terms or a link related to this question. I have been unable to get info from LabVIEW online help. E.g: LabVIEW notes on the ring control should probably have a note on this behavior but nothing there.

Thanks

Anthony

QUOTE(alukindo @ Oct 1 2007, 07:17 AM)

Hi Aristos:

Can you shine some light on search terms or a link related to this question. I have been unable to get info from LabVIEW online help. E.g: LabVIEW notes on the ring control should probably have a note on this behavior but nothing there.

Thanks

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

As Aristos said,there was lot of disscussion already done on this issue...I myself observed this behaviour in one of my project and thought that it is a Bug ...But later I found that Menu Rings are just fancy numerics unlike ENUM's.The Ring's text is NOT part of the data type.Hence they do not update with change in Values (as of Enums).

Regards,

Karthik SP

QUOTE(ned @ Oct 1 2007, 08:47 AM)

Ned:

Thank you so much. This info is what I was looking for. When I tried the search term: typedef ring, I got so many hits which talk about the typedef topic and I was not able to wade through to get this article.

Thanks again

Anthony

QUOTE(alukindo @ Oct 1 2007, 08:58 AM)

Thank you so much. This info is what I was looking for. When I tried the search term: typedef ring, I got so many hits which talk about the typedef topic and I was not able to wade through to get this article.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Over the weekend I didn't have time to type an actual reply and I thought you might be stuck waiting for an answer to this question, so I figured I'd encourage you to keep searching by assuring you there was a post out there that covered it. Reminds me of a joke.

How do you search for an elephant in Africa?

The novice programmer wanders around randomly searching for an elephant.

The experienced programmer walks back and forth, scanning Africa latitude by latitude, searching for an elephant.

The master programmer does the same as the expereienced programmer, but he puts an elephant at the tip of South Africa to make sure he stops eventually. ;)