Lurker Roll Call

I’ve always wondered who all these people are that visit the LAVA Forums but never post. There’s about 7000 registered members but only a handful post irregularly. I know many of you subscribe via RSS and never visit the site. Now’s your time to shine, lurkers! Just pop a comment here, no reason to be shy. Let us know who you are, where you’re from, what you do, whatever. It will help you get to know some of the other lurkers. :wub: . For those of you still scratching your heads as to what a lurker is, a lurker is a person that decides to stay shy in either a chat room, a forum or a blog, by not contributing their comments and electing to just watch the babble ensue in front of them. Now that made no sense, but I’m sure you got it.

And yes, if you are one of those regulars you can comment too.

Hi!

I guess I'm the first to respond to this thread...

I'm Physics major. Our computers have labview, and some of the professors are keen to it, but it isn't being used as well as it could be... So I have been slowly learning about it on my own (decompiling example VIs, etc.)

I honestly haven't had much time this semester, so my status is that of 'lurker'...

Cheers.

QUOTE(digital19 @ Oct 14 2007, 02:04 PM)

My science undergrad was also a physics major. There's plenty of resources out there that have info about using LabVIEW in physics labs. Urs Lauterburg is a physics education and LabVIEW champion (and a LAVA Member too) that has some excellent resources, including this one - I'm sure there's heaps of stuff your could get from him to make LabVIEW a more important part of the cirriculum. Another excellent portal to all things LabVIEWy and educational is the NI Academic page - there's plenty there to keep you going ;)

QUOTE(crelf @ Oct 14 2007, 07:40 AM)

My science undergrad was also a physic major.

I was an Engineering Physics major but my main interest was in Physics.

It was my advisor for my senior project that insisted I code it in LabVIEW rather than C.

Boy was that crappy code! :oops:

I used the max count icon connector because I did not know about bundling by name and later figured out that un-initialized shift registers can cause big problems when trying to restart an application. :headbang:

Ben

QUOTE(crelf @ Oct 14 2007, 04:40 AM)

QUOTE(Ben @ Oct 14 2007, 07:08 AM)

I was an Engineering Physics major but my main interest was in Physics.

Chalk up another (albeit non-lurking) physics major here. I jumped the fence to study Control Theory in graduate school, though, after I realized I didn't have the kind of fire in my belly that it would take to want to pursue a PhD. in Physics. (Incidentally, that led me to teach a lab in an experimental course in Mechatronics where the professor forced me to teach it using this weird graphical programming language (v4.1 or so) where instead of typing your programs in and compiling them, you just kinda drew lines between little icons on the screen and then clicked the arrow to run the code. Totally counterintuitive :P.)

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 14 2007, 12:31 AM)

I suspect somebody like myself who mainly lurks but very occaisoianlly post, must be a lurcher

what a great game of Rugby on Saturaday night :-) ....... now only South Africa stand in the way of a great world cup double

Danny

QUOTE(kevinP @ Oct 15 2007, 11:11 AM)

Hi,

I studied Electronic and Electrical Engineering at university, and have been in the test and measurement field ever since (1985). Currently sitting within throwing distance of Danny, and appreciating his help.

Kevin

but he has not actually thrown anything yet

QUOTE(dannyt @ Oct 15 2007, 07:20 PM)

Blooday oath - with the 'boks hammering Argentina 37-13 :blink:

QUOTE(dannyt @ Oct 15 2007, 08:59 PM)

but he has not actually thrown anything yet

...yet :) We seem to have an office policy that insists at least a dozen missles (nerf balls, spider balls, balsa-wood model planes, RC helicopters, ping-pong balls, practise golf balls, etc) be launched daily - often at my expense. One guy is even considering an amory of these...

I often wonder how people find the time to spend so much time on LAVA, Info-LabVIEW, Developer Zone. I can usually find the time to read about a quarter of all the feeds that come in so I relegated to a lurker. I have some time right now as I am waiting for the machine I am working on to be put back together and since Mike asked so nice for lurkers to say hi.

So just to drive this in a different direction and as a question I have wanted to but never have, how do some of you find the time to read and discuss so many questions? Are the rest of us just poor at time management or work too much. I am working on a very bad project right now so I am averaging 80 hours a week but usually work 55 or so.

Dean

QUOTE(Dean Mills @ Oct 16 2007, 06:34 AM)

I often wonder how people find the time to spend so much time on LAVA, Info-LabVIEW, Developer Zone.

LAVA - I get the RSS feed so it's easy and fast to weed out topics that I'm not interested in.

Info-LabVIEW - I get the daily diegest and scan the index. Frankly, it's a pain to use, so I don't often post there.

DevZone - I only every go there if I can't get an answer from LAVA, or I know that the people that can specifically answer my question are there.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 13 2007, 11:31 PM)

I’ve always wondered who all these people are that visit the LAVA Forums but never post. There’s about 7000 registered members but only a handful post regularly. I know many of you subscribe via RSS and never visit the site. Now’s your time to shine, lurkers! Just pop a comment here, no reason to be shy. Let us know who you are, where you’re from, what you do, whatever. It will help you get to know some of the other lurkers. :wub: . For those of you still scratching your heads as to what a lurker is, a lurker is a person that decides to stay shy in either a chat room, a forum or a blog, by not contributing their comments and electing to just watch the babble ensue in front of them. Now that made no sense, but I’m sure you got it.http://avalonstar.com/2006/01/11/lurkers-speak-to-me/' target="_blank">

And yes, if you are one of those regulars you can comment too.

Im not a pure lurker but since I have developed the worst LabVIEW habits over many years (since version 1.0 on the Macintosh)

I can tell you I am definately out of my element here and struggling with the right way to do things, not being a software engineer by study

and having never made more than one or two executables for remote use I find this forum scary, entertaining, humiliating and mostly educational.

You guys are the geek squad *10 :worship:

QUOTE(crelf @ Oct 15 2007, 11:06 PM)

LAVA - I get the RSS ...

Info-LabVIEW - I get the daily diegest and scan the index. Frankly, it's a pain to use, so I don't often post there.

You can get an RSS feed to a specific label on gmail. So maybe you have to use a Gmail account?

Ton

Hello, my name is Alvin Moore, and I am a (mostly) lurker. I like to catch up on what's happening here, it seems more has been going on here than on info-LabVIEW lately. I have used LabVIEW a long time, since 1990, but haven't done much with the OOP stuff that is new in latest releases. I am using LabVIEW 8.2.1 for development; I have LabVIEW 8.5 and have looked at it some but am not at a good point to switch yet. I work for Corning Cable Systems, in Hickory, NC, as the in-house programmer for testing and instrumentation in R&D. We test new fiber optic cable prototypes before they go to production.