Lurker Roll Call

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

I am Wytze. and I am the director of the Laser Spectroscopy Labs at UCI (University of California, Irvine, south of Los Angeles).

For many experiments we use LabView and so we have quite an active group of students etc. hooking up all kinds of hardware to computers. I also do a lot of programming myself. LabView is in my opinion the quickest way to get ahead with this kind of work.

Lately I have been focusing on Linux. It would be really practical if we could execute code build with LabView on a small computer like this which we then can hide (Embed) in a larger system.:http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-1C-Board-1-LAN-1-MINI-PCI?sc=8&category=19

Of course it will be hooked up to hardware so we will also need to run Visa and Daqmx (base). So, I am looking for a small linux distro that will do that. I will do the development system od Suse 10.3 (works very well, recommended). There are some small distros like puppy, but those are not straight forward compatible. Anyway, if someone has a good experience I would love to hear about it.

What a good idea to set up the Lava website. Congratulations guys for getting this one going, and Thanks,

Wytze

• 1 month later...

Guess I'll will de-lurk fully. :ninja: => :D

I am Jason Willis. I work for BEI Precision System & Space Inc. (mostly) Primarily with test system development though I am presently working on a manufacturing system. I started reading LAVAG after I took the LabVIEW Intermediate classes last fall. The teacher suggested as a good resource and I admit it has been good.

I have learned alot just reading through posts and solved more than one issue simply by using the search function.

Oh, and I got my CLD just last month. Next up the CLA. :)

That's me in a nutshell.

QUOTE (jasonw @ May 7 2008, 02:31 PM)

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_05_2008/post-3266-1210276725.png' target="_blank">post-3266-1210276725.png?width=400

"Help! I'm in a nutshell! How did I get into this bloody great big nutshell? What kind of shell has a nut like this?"

Great to get to know you, Jason. Good luck in your pursuit of the CLA. I'm also planning on going for it, most likely this summer.

You're right about LAVA being an outstanding resource, I wouldn't know what to do without it! :D

I am lurker turned poster (as of yesterday) so I thought I would say hi!

I lurked unregistered before joining.

My name is JG and quit my last job and took up a full time programming position in LabVIEW because LabVIEW is so much fun damnitt!! :P

I was exposed to LabVIEW in academia.

My current goal is to obtain CLA!

The company I work for does a fair bit of work with NI PAC so I am having a ball in learning the correct techniques to program in RT and FPGA!!

Learning LabVIEW never ends, which is another reason I love it.

I love discoving new and better ways to program!

And in that regard LAVA is kickass!

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Everyone,

I figured I'd best put up a post here to introduce myself before I flood you all with questions on other threads. I am an undergraduate mechatronics engineer in Western Australia, and our lab equipment is run pretty much entirely on Labview, mostly for the purposes of remote lab experiments by students. Our resident labview Guru is on study leave this year, so it is a little difficult to ask for help locally. I am attempting to create a new web interface for our biggest, meanest piece of internet-operable equipment, an ABB IRB1400 industrial robot, that does a rather good job of stacking wooden building blocks.

Nice to meet you all.

exoteric

QUOTE (exoteric @ May 24 2008, 03:16 PM)

G'day Everyone,

I figured I'd best put up a post here to introduce myself before I flood you all with questions on other threads. I am an undergraduate mechatronics engineer in Western Australia, and our lab equipment is run pretty much entirely on Labview, mostly for the purposes of remote lab experiments by students. Our resident labview Guru is on study leave this year, so it is a little difficult to ask for help locally. I am attempting to create a new web interface for our biggest, meanest piece of internet-operable equipment, an ABB IRB1400 industrial robot, that does a rather good job of stacking wooden building blocks.

Nice to meet you all.

exoteric

Hi Exoteric, welcome to the forums. I am a WA native too!! Aside from the Guru - do you have a large LV community at Mech Eng UWA? Or are you going solo?

JG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Paul Conaway

Lockheed Martin

Special Test Equipment

Radar Systems

Syracuse NY

18 years or more experience with LabView. (I first saw it in Black and White)

I really should go for CLA as well as similar for TestStand but the company doesn't want to pay for it.

Nor for a trip to NI Week.

Ex Kodak where I got a patent for an image processing algorithm done in IMAQ.

• 1 month later...

Hey ev'ryone! Just thought I'd join the forum after visiting the home page a few times. Been programming LabVIEW since 1996, and extensively since 2003. I received my CLA in June 2007.

I went to Michigan Technological University for Electrical Engineering, graduating in 1994. My first NI code was written in LabWindows/CVI back in 1995, but I soon migrated to LabVIEW. I programmed off and on from 1996 to 2003, where I then found a job programming in 5.0.1. I am now working hard to get my company up-to-date with LabVIEW 8.

QUOTE (Slacter @ Jul 25 2008, 04:19 PM)

I went to Michigan Technological University for Electrical Engineering, graduating in 1994. My first NI code was written in LabWindows/CVI back in 1995, but I soon migrated to LabVIEW. I programmed off and on from 1996 to 2003, where I then found a job programming in 5.0.1. I am now working hard to get my company up-to-date with LabVIEW 8.

Welcome to LAVA! I'm sure, in time, you'll love it as much as I do :) So where are you working?

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 13 2007, 06:31 PM)

I’ve always wondered who all these people are that visit the LAVA Forums but never post. There’s about 7000 registered members but only a handful post regularly. I know many of you subscribe via RSS and never visit the site. Now’s your time to shine, lurkers! Just pop a comment here, no reason to be shy. Let us know who you are, where you’re from, what you do, whatever. It will help you get to know some of the other lurkers. :wub: . For those of you still scratching your heads as to what a lurker is, a lurker is a person that decides to stay shy in either a chat room, a forum or a blog, by not contributing their comments and electing to just watch the babble ensue in front of them. Now that made no sense, but I’m sure you got it.http://avalonstar.com/2006/01/11/lurkers-speak-to-me/' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">

And yes, if you are one of those regulars you can comment too.

OK... Guilty as charged... been a member here for years... think Ive only posted once...

Bob Harmon

Principal Technician

Sandia National Laboratories

Livermore, CA

I work in the Combustion Research Facility for two great researchers Dr. Robert Barlow and Dr. Robert Schefer. I couldn't ask for better bosses. We use lasers and other diagnostic devices to gather data from flames. Most of this data is used to verify models. Most of our lab equipment is operated with LabVIEW and I'm the lucky dude that gets to keep the lab up and running. My lab consists of 12 lasers, 8 imaging systems, a gas supply system delivering 18 gasses and oxidents. It's a big system and keeps me very busy... It is a very rewarding challenge.

As usual, I'm way behind on both finding and responding to this post...

So, what level constitutes a lurker? When is one no longer considered a lurker? :book:

Can a premium member be a lurker? Does that make you a Premium Lurker? :D

Maybe I just like a high SNR...(Not that theres anything wrong with a low SNR, Norm! :P I can say that 'cause I work with him.)

On to the specifics:

Using LabVIEW since 1992 (2.2 on a Mac, 2.5 on Win)

Tours of duty in

• Michigan (born and raised)...I remember when VIEng was just a 4 or 5 man shop! Don't quote me on the numbers, crelf.
  • Florida (4 years)
  • Dallas, TX (5 years and counting)

-Scott

QUOTE (smenjoulet @ Jul 28 2008, 03:16 PM)

Tours of duty in
  • Michigan (born and raised)...I remember when VIEng was just a 4 or 5 man shop! Don't quote me on the numbers, crelf.

It's true: we haven't always been the test power house that we are now ;) So... when are you coming home? :D

Hi all,

I don't know what to say about me that is of interest to you, but here it goes. I am a principal software engineer working for a satellite communication consulting company. I came in contact with LabVIEW a few years back when I was contracted to develop a number of drivers/controllers for custom, industrial, hardware that was to be used in LabVIEW too.

Since some of engineers I was working with didn't have intimate knowledge about the internals of a computer, how it works, memory organization, multi-threading, etc, I was having a hard time teaching them how to use my DLLs in LabVIEW, so I decided to learn LabVIEW enough to give them examples working with my drivers. That was the beginning. I discovered LabVIEW and I wanted more. Having extensive C/C++ experience on all major computing platforms, I realized that combining the "low level" programming capabilities with LabVIEW can be a very powerful tool. So, I started working with LabVIEW more and more, took some classes, and now I do contracting work for LabVIEW too.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 13 2007, 03:31 PM)

I've always wondered who all these people are that visit the LAVA Forums but never post. There's about 7000 registered members but only a handful post regularly. I know many of you subscribe via RSS and never visit the site. Now's your time to shine, lurkers! Just pop a comment here, no reason to be shy. Let us know who you are, where you're from, what you do, whatever. It will help you get to know some of the other lurkers. :wub: . For those of you still scratching your heads as to what a lurker is, a lurker is a person that decides to stay shy in either a chat room, a forum or a blog, by not contributing their comments and electing to just watch the babble ensue in front of them. Now that made no sense, but I'm sure you got it.http://avalonstar.com/2006/01/11/lurkers-speak-to-me/' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">

And yes, if you are one of those regulars you can comment too.

Hello there,

thanks for the invite from WA state,

i work for major cellphone provider where i design / build test automation for them as contractor.

i am building automated test application using labview together with c# and calling other external windows processes using System.Diagnostics.Process and System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo classes. i last worked with labview v4.1 in 1994! i'm building my c#.net code into the dll and push it over to the labview machine to run there.

specific question:

i am using an airpcap packet sniffer where my c# app uses the airpcap.dll unmanaged driver to build the dllimport primarily for automated control of changing wifi sniffing channels from labview. although the data marshalling looks correct, i'm having problems with error code number 1172; System.AccessViolationException; attempted to read/write protected memory. this must be one of those times since i am accessing an unmanaged driver, i must reserve memory for the variables in c#.

i recall in the msdn pages they had quick reference table that maps the parameter mapping for you as i have worked with dllimport when i needed to.

any suggestions would be appreciated. have a good day.