A very fast way to close your LabVIEW project

Jim Kring

QUOTE(Yen @ Oct 17 2007, 02:04 PM)

Maybe it's just me, but what's wrong with the various built in options (File>>Close All, Ctrl+Q, repeated Ctrl+Ws, etc.)?

This can take several minutes to close the Project Explorer, when you have a large project with lots of LVClasses. The more unsaved changes, the longer it takes (it even takes a long time with no unsaved changes).

QUOTE(Yen @ Oct 17 2007, 02:29 PM)

Oh, for some reason I don't seem to have that problem in LV 7.0. ;) :laugh:

Lately, it seems that the LabVIEW upgrade process is just trading problems. Get some new features and bugs fixed, but have deal with the new bugs. Granted, the new features are really nice, but it's pretty frustrating working around the new bugs and "inconveniences" (like waiting several minutes for your project to close or a typedef change to propagate). :headbang:

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Oct 17 2007, 02:54 PM)

Lately, it seems that the LabVIEW upgrade process is just trading problems. Get some new features and bugs fixed, but have deal with the new bugs. Granted, the new features are really nice, but it's pretty frustrating working around the new bugs and "inconveniences" (like waiting several minutes for your project to close or a typedef change to propagate). :headbang:

<Warning Thread Hijack>

So true, and don't even get me started on the hierarchy windows which has become unusable since LV 8.0.

Used to be snappy and handy in 7.1, no longer the case...

</Warning Thread Hijack>

PJM

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Oct 17 2007, 09:54 PM)

Lately, it seems that the LabVIEW upgrade process is just trading problems. Get some new features and bugs fixed, but have deal with the new bugs. Granted, the new features are really nice,...

I wonder how my eventual transition to 8.5 will be.

I have a fairly large "in house" project going in 8.2.1 and don't really have it fully sorted out yet in terms of Vi locations, etc.

I took a stab at loading it into LV85 and saw a lot of dialogs but did not have time to drill into it so I just closed it out for now.

Wondering if there is going to be an 8.5.1 patch coming..

QUOTE(silmaril @ Oct 18 2007, 04:46 AM)

In the LV User Group Meeting during VIP 2007 (last week's NI congress in Germany), the NI people told us that LV 8.5.1 will be released "in a couple of months".

Sure, and probably some time after that you will see LV 9.0. Oh and probably sometime after that you will see 9.1 then 9.1.1 then 10.0 then... So?

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 18 2007, 07:38 PM)

Sure, and probably some time after that you will see LV 9.0. Oh and probably sometime after that you will see 9.1 then 9.1.1 then 10.0 then... So?

:laugh:

It sounded more like "we try to do it this year".

8.5.1 is mainly supposed to bring bug fixes, not new features.

This sounds like a very good idea to me... Let's hope this dream really comes true ;)

(I heard, they were talking about a version 8.0.1 after the 8.0 desaster, but it was never released, because NI considered it too expensive. :thumbdown: )

QUOTE(silmaril @ Oct 19 2007, 09:24 AM)

:laugh:

It sounded more like "we try to do it this year".

8.5.1 is mainly supposed to bring bug fixes, not new features.

This sounds like a very good idea to me... Let's hope this dream really comes true ;)

(I heard, they were talking about a version 8.0.1 after the 8.0 desaster, but it was never released, because NI considered it too expensive. :thumbdown: )

I believe since NI embraced the SSP they try to get a new release around august (NI week) and a patch (x.x.1) in January/February.

LabVIEW 8.0.1 was released as an upgrade but their was a lot of complaints about the Recompile time and NI decided to roll out an installer for 8.2.1 meaning you needed to relicense and not everyone that had 8.2.0 could install 8.2.1

Ton