Vritual PC 2007

dthomson

There have been a few threads about using VMWare to test LV programs on different OS's and to keep different versions of LV separated. I used it briefly to try and test LV 8.5 beta. It worked, more or less, but the performance was less than ideal and I eventually gave up on it.

I was wondering if anyone had tried usingn MS Virtual PC 2007? From what I've read, Virtual PC 2004 was slower than VMWare, since it didn't have some of the tools VMWare did for optimizing graphics and hardware access. Hopefully it has caught up by now.

Any opinions/experience with this?

Thanks,

Dave T.

In my experience VMWare is the better tool to use. I don't know how Virtual PC has been upgraded but I know that VMWare allows to have virtualized number of processors, it allows for 64-bit OSs, virtualized hardware, use of actual hardware such as USB devices, fully working graphics, audio, and networking too.

Virtual PC never worked too well for me. I couldn't even get it to use an ISO image for a CD rom if the image was more than a gig or so.

Of course any virtual machine will take quite a bit of system resources but with most newer computers you shouldn't notice much of a dip in speed. I mean having an XP machine with a 3GHz and 2GB of ram, running a virtual machine with windows 98 with LabVIEW 5.x only using 64MB of ram shouldn't take too much speed from the over all experience.

I've given up on Virtual PC 2007 for now, it keeps crashing my computer. Not even BSOD, it just crashes hard. VMWare works fine and never crashes. I have Labview 7.0 installed with XP SP2 in VMware. The only issue I have with VMWare is some screen artifacts while editing the block diagrams in Labview. I have to move the window around to force a redraw.