Including methods not supported by run-time?

Hacti

Hi,

I'm having some problems with my .exe because some property and invoke method nodes are not supported by LV realtime and dsc run-time. Is there any way to include these nodes in my application?

I tried making a .llb file to call the functions from the .exe file but that didn't work.

Thanks

QUOTE(Hacti @ Oct 25 2007, 08:21 AM)

I'm having some problems with my .exe because some property and invoke method nodes are not supported by LV realtime and dsc run-time. Is there any way to include these nodes in my application?

It seems to me you are mixing the terms here: Run-time, Realtime, DSC.

So I am not quite shure what you are really doing.

Every property or method has it's table in the online help which states things like "Available in Run-Time Engine and Real-Time Operating System", "Settable when the VI is running" and others. If a property is not available in the Run-time environment, there is usually a good reason (which means, it doesn't make sense to use it outside the development environment).

This means there is no way to use those properties/methods in an EXE or on an RT target.

If you really think you need one of those on your target, let us know what you want to achieve. Maybe we can find a workaround together.

Every property or method has it's table in the online help which states things like "Available in Run-Time Engine and Real-Time Operating System", "Settable when the VI is running" and others. If a property is not available in the Run-time environment, there is usually a good reason (which means, it doesn't make sense to use it outside the development environment).

This means there is no way to use those properties/methods in an EXE or on an RT target.

If you really think you need one of those on your target, let us know what you want to achieve. Maybe we can find a workaround together.

I need to create a project so i can add a library with the shared variables to it. Save process/shared variables to library.vi reports an error when used in .exe file. I'm developing an app for use on the field, which requires that the properties of shared variables can be manipulated and the settings saved in a library. Trying to save a library in the .exe file also uses these nodes. Problem is that the PC in the field run only run-time and real time.

QUOTE(Hacti @ Oct 25 2007, 04:15 AM)

I need to create a project so i can add a library with the shared variables to it. Save process/shared variables to library.vi reports an error when used in .exe file. I'm developing an app for use on the field, which requires that the properties of shared variables can be manipulated and the settings saved in a library. Trying to save a library in the .exe file also uses these nodes. Problem is that the PC in the field run only run-time and real time.

Editing is only supported in the development system. You cannot create a project nor edit a library in the run-time system. No edits are possible in a built application, only execution.

QUOTE(Hacti @ Oct 25 2007, 02:15 AM)

I'm developing an app for use on the field, which requires that the properties of shared variables can be manipulated and the settings saved in a library. Trying to save a library in the .exe file also uses these nodes. Problem is that the PC in the field run only run-time and real time.

I'm no expert in using shared variables, but why don't you save these properties or whatever to a file instead of to a llb and then read them from file at the start of your code?

If all else fails, here is a brute-force approach: buy a NI $900 debug licence that allows you to legally install the full LabVIEW development environment on the PC (in the field) and use it like that.

Neville.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Oct 25 2007, 04:24 PM)
Variables are edited in the shared variable engine after deploying the library, that works fine, problem is when i want to save the library from the engine.We will have to make some adjustments.ThanksQUOTE(Neville D @ Oct 25 2007, 07:00 PM)

I'm no expert in using shared variables, but why don't you save these properties or whatever to a file instead of to a llb and then read them from file at the start of your code?If all else fails, here is a brute-force approach: buy a NI $900 debug licence that allows you to legally install the full LabVIEW development environment on the PC (in the field) and use it like that.Neville.

I don't think my boss will be to happy with your suggestion:)In the app you can use cfg files, so this can be one solution to our problem.Thanks