copy/paste "format and precision" properties on numerics

QUOTE(TiT @ Nov 6 2007, 09:44 AM)

In some text editors the keyboard shortcut "ctrl + shift + C", "ctrl + shift + V" allow to copy not the text but the text format (font, size, etc)

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to be able to use it in LabVIEW to copy all the "format and precision" properties of a numeric to another one ?

ONLY if you are in edit mode and only if I want it do that.

I'm yelling because I was do one of my stand-up coding routines on Friday under LV 8.5.

I had a BIG indicator that displayed the measured resistance.

When I cut and pasted the value from the big indicator into a standard sized control and the font size and style came with it. This of course meant I could not read the value I had pasted without re-sizing the control.

I turned to the NI rep and siad "Thats a bug."

Thanks for reminding me!

I have to go report that bug.

Ben

PS: I just got off the phone with NI and they duplicated the behaviour.

So...

Mug Bearer,

Your wish has been fulfilled! Just upgrade to LV 8.5

I've always liked the Paste Special... function in Excel that lets you choose what you want to paste.

For LabVIEW, I can immediately think of a few things a dialog like that could handle for control/indicator pasting:

• Value
  • Display Format
  • Colors
  • Control Size

and more. Of course, I'm sure this would probably be wickedly complicated on the back end, to handle all the different datatypes in anything approaching a sane way. But I can dream... :)

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Nov 6 2007, 09:59 AM)

...Of course, I'm sure this would probably be wickedly complicated on the back end, to handle all the different datatypes in anything approaching a sane way. But I can dream... :)

Since when did you start working for NI? Implementation is not our problem.

Another thing. Why, when I have my cursor in a text box can I not use ctrl+A to select all the text? Give me a break.

For the moment, you can probably write your own.

Write a floating VI with two buttons ("Copy" and "Apply") and some checkboxes for the options.

Pressing Copy copies the properties from the currently selected control and pressing Apply copies the checked properties into the currently selected control.

Not the simplest thing in the world, but a basic demo can be has been written in a few minutes.

QUOTE(neB @ Nov 6 2007, 01:13 PM)
Ben, what are you talking about? This "feature" has been there since I can remember. Now it's a bug?I agree however that this may not be the desired behaviour. What I would like is to be able to right-click and give me options, like in Word: Paste special->raw unformatted text.QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Nov 6 2007, 12:06 PM)

This is why I've been pushing features such as custom probes, custom icon editors, etc. Then implementation *is* your problem. Mwuhahahaha!

The moment we common users can plug into the dev. environment and add our own right-click menus that call our own actions and there is a usable API where we can actually do this stuff then we can talk. Until then, it's all you baby.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Nov 6 2007, 03:28 PM)

Ben, what are you talking about? This "feature" has been there since I can remember. Now it's a bug?I agree however that this may not be the desired behaviour. What I would like is to be able to right-click and give me options, like in Word: Paste special->raw unformatted text....

If the target control is not tall enough, you can't see what you pasted without set the font of the targaet control.

The "raw unformatted" would be my preference for the paste.

Your comment about it always being there made me realize that I so rarely used mixed sized controls, that I have never seen this before.

So its news to me.

Ben

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Nov 7 2007, 06:28 AM)

The moment we common users can plug into the dev. environment and add our own right-click menus that call our own actions and there is a usable API where we can actually do this stuff then we can talk.

:thumbup: ...and I sure hope that this time of enlightenment is imminent!

QUOTE(neB @ Nov 6 2007, 04:57 PM)

ONLY if you are in edit mode and only if I want it do that.

I'm yelling because I was do one of my stand-up coding routines on Friday under LV 8.5.

I had a BIG indicator that displayed the measured resistance.

When I cut and pasted the value from the big indicator into a standard sized control and the font size and style came with it. This of course meant I could not read the value I had pasted without re-sizing the control.

Back to my feature request, maybe I was not clear in how I wish it to be, so let me be clearer.

What I would like is :

ctrl + c/v : copy data only

ctrl + shit + c/V : copy format only

or/and 2 right click menu options

If this exist in LabVIEW 8.5 then it's great.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(TiT @ Nov 8 2007, 03:15 AM)

Back to my feature request, maybe I was not clear in how I wish it to be, so let me be clearer.

What I would like is :

ctrl + c/v : copy data only

ctrl + shit + c/V : copy format only

___^^^^

Hmm, does that pertain to your own perceived coding style somehow? :rolleyes: I'm sure you are doing much better than that!

Rolf Kalbermatter

How about a format 'paintbrush' that would copy ALL of the format (text, color, size, etc.) from a control/indicator to another like Word and EXCEL have? I have had a situation where I had what I thought was a perfectly good FP with multiple LEDs, BOOLEANS, etc. and the cutomer came along and said things like, "Make them all bigger", or "I don't like those colors" (and yes, I thought I had prior approval). It would be nice if you could change just one of each item and then 'paint' the others.

Roy

How about a format 'paintbrush' that would copy ALL of the format (text, color, size, etc.) from a control/indicator to another like Word and EXCEL have? I have had a situation where I had what I thought was a perfectly good FP with multiple LEDs, BOOLEANS, etc. and the cutomer came along and said things like, "Make them all bigger", or "I don't like those colors" (and yes, I thought I had prior approval). It would be nice if you could change just one of each item and then 'paint' the others.

Roy