New Wiki features announcement thread.

• 1 year later...

I've upgrade the LabVIEW Wiki to use the latest stable released version of MediaWiki.

One small problem after the upgrade: The editing toolbar has gone missing:

post-2-1233010450.png?width=400

No worries, I know what the problem is but can't get to it until this weekend.

On the positive side. I'm also planning to add a WYSIWYG editor on the weekend too. Stay tuned.

As mentioned previously, I've upgraded the LabVIEW Wiki to MediaWiki 1.13.3. I've also changed the look of the site to more of a traditional theme to make it look more like other MediaWiki sites, while still retaining the LAVA links along the top of the page. I think this will make it easier to read.

The big feature I've added is the new Rich Text editor. This is an extension which integrates the FCKeditor into the MediaWiki. More information about the project can be found here. I'll be making a video tutorial and a wiki page in the wiki help about how to use this new editor but until then, feel free to use it and play around. I'm hoping this new, easy to use, editor interface will be the catalyst for more article creation in the Wiki.

post-2-1233560819.png?width=400

Even though the rich text editor can do a lot of things, it is not a total replacement for the text based editor. In some cases, you may need to revert to the standard editor to perform more involved tasks. You can quickly and easily switch between default and rich text editor whenever you need. It's also not recommended to use the rich text editor for editing wiki templates.

I think the new interface will be used for most editing tasks and will make adding content a lot easier for everyone.

I've added a feature (extension) to the Wiki to make it easier to add an article to a specific category. It's located at the bottom of the editor and it works with the plain text and rich text editor. It shows you the existing categories assigned (if any) and performs an auto-suggest as you type of existing categories that are used in the Wiki. Of course you can enter your own categories on the fly and ignore the suggestions.

post-2-1233724802.png?width=400

I've added a feature to the LabVIEW Wiki. Now you can embed flash videos from external sites like youtube, screencast.com, blip.tv etc, etc. All you need to do is switch to the plain text editor and paste the embed code from the site of your choice. Make sure to strip out any <object> code. All you need is the text between the <embed></embed> tags.

I haven't tried it with all video sites. If you need one that doesn't seem to work please let me know in the main support forum and I'll fix it.

I figured the most useful embed would be screencast.com. You can create a screencast to enhance the existing content of a wiki page.

I'm still looking at how to embed video that's uploaded to the wiki directly and not sourced externally. I'll keep you posted.