Open VI Object Reference Usage

TobyD

I'm was playing with the Open VI Object Reference function today, but I'm having trouble getting it to work in one application. My front panel is divided into 3 panes and I'm trying to access a boolean indicator in one of the panes. I'm confused about the name/order convention that the VI accepts. Using just the control name does not work. I've tried Pane#/control name and many other variations of the same. Can anyone point me in the right direction (or is there an easier way to get the job done)?

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Dec 19 2007, 07:48 AM)

This confuses me :wacko:

What is this item you use to get the control reference from the pane reference and control name?

I can't find it in my LabVIEW.

Is this part of normal LabVIEW (and I'm just to stupid to find it) or do I need a scripting license for this?

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Dec 18 2007, 10:48 PM)

Thanks for the replies. This is the way I ended up doing it, I was just hoping there was something a little more compact. I googled the VI and found the patent that NI filed that describes it (Patent # 7159183 - Discussed under Figure 13) and it says:

name/order identifies the name or order, e.g. zplane order, of the object for which to obtain a reference. The name/order input may be a simple string, an array of strings, or a numeric constant. An array of names may be used if the object is a nested object. For example, to access the status boolean of an error cluster in an array called "myArray", the name array may be: ["myArray", NULL, "status"].

I thought I should be able to do something with an array of names to "drill down" to the indicator ["myPane", "myBoolean"]. Unfotunately everything I tried crashed LabVIEW.

QUOTE(Aitor Solar @ Dec 19 2007, 02:58 AM)

Well, the "Open VI Object Reference" function is inside LabVIEW, though is not shown in the palette. That OpenG package "just" gives an easy way of placing it in the block diagram ;) .

Saludos,

Aitor

Is there an easy way to navigate to and find it if you're not using OpenG?

QUOTE(Aitor Solar @ Dec 19 2007, 03:58 AM)

Well, the "Open VI Object Reference" function is inside LabVIEW, though is not shown in the palette. That OpenG package "just" gives an easy way of placing it in the block diagram ;) .

And, in fact, without the OpenG tools, you cannot add it to the palettes. This is a rusty nail of LabVIEW and was definitely never intended to be exposed to end users. But end users find it useful and worm their way into all LV's nooks and crannies. I've had to start hiding easter eggs at the extreme edges of things just to keep them from being found quickly...

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Dec 19 2007, 03:28 PM)

And, in fact, without the OpenG tools, you cannot add it to the palettes. This is a rusty nail of LabVIEW and was definitely never intended to be exposed to end users. But end users find it useful and worm their way into all LV's nooks and crannies. I've had to start hiding easter eggs at the extreme edges of things just to keep them from being found quickly...

So the short answer is: No, there is no easy way without OpenG.

Are you also suggesting by this that Open VI Object Refence ought not to be used???