FILE FORMAT RIGH

File format copyright. The IBA ANALYZER.

Heavy samples and variables data compression and storage.

Who has the rights about a file format? 3 years ago I was enquired to open IBA file format.

I have nothing against germane arrogance but I believe that file format has no Copyright.

I Know that IBA (www.iba-germany.com) has a good product, better than signal express. I have the entire library to write and read IBA files using LABVIEW. The main problem is that IBA claims that they have the copyrights. I´m after LABVIEW engineers to share my knowledge and create a group to make an open source tool like IBA. I can increase IBA compression performance but it will be no longer compatible with IBA Analyzer. I´m also after copyrights support people to avoid problems with IBA Company.

My idea is to create a protocol to exchange industrial process, biological waveforms etc. across network based on a distributed database. I intend to start it based on IBA-PDA and IBA-ANALYSER.

The biggest problem with IBA is the need of access big files instead of a protocol to access only the required data at the desired sample. Tools like PIMS does not work fine with fast sample data and I have seen several engineers like OSISOFT ones trying to do it with no success.

Please contact-me if you know what I´m talking about and let´s start to create a big tool.

QUOTE(jackal_brazil @ Jan 1 2008, 11:38 AM)

Who has the rights about a file format? 3 years ago I was enquired to open IBA file format.

I have nothing against germane arrogance but I believe that file format has no Copyright.

I Know that IBA (www.iba-germany.com) has a good product, better than signal express. I have the entire library to write and read IBA files using LABVIEW. The main problem is that IBA claims that they have the copyrights. I´m after LABVIEW engineers to share my knowledge and create a group to make an open source tool like IBA. I can increase IBA compression performance but it will be no longer compatible with IBA Analyzer. I´m also after copyrights support people to avoid problems with IBA Company.

This is a bit out of my league (and some quick Googling for resources on the subject wasn't productive :( ), but my understanding is that there is generally no copyright issue surrounding file formats, provided you reverse engineer the format in a "clean" way. For one example of this, look no further than OpenOffice and its interoperability with MS products. You can find thousands of other examples on the web, too.

However, if you executed some kind of agreement (like an EULA) with IBA, it may have contained terms that prohibit you from reverse engineering their file format. Whether or not that EULA (or that provision of it) is enforceable is something only a lawyer could tell you.

Finally, be aware of the difference between copyrights and patents. This is a touchy and complicated subject (at least in the US), and it's important to get competent advice on it.

• 11 years later...

Came across this post by chance.

Did the Labview library to read and write DAT files ever get completed and made available to the general public.

Would be really interested in a copy.   IBA-Analyzer is a fantastic tool for visualising data and I would like to write my logged data to DAT files.