OPM Object Process Methodology

I am going to be developing an app where the customers has provided diagrams using Object Process Methodology . A quick read of chapter one of a book on this topic has enticed me because it appears to be a formal method of diagraming systems. So.... I am interested in hearing from others about using OPM and how LabVIEW can fit into the picture. Ben PS: I'm going to cross-post this to NI.

QUOTE(neB @ Jan 3 2008, 12:07 PM)

I am going to be developing an app where the customers has provided diagrams using Object Process Methodology . A quick read of chapter one of a book on this topic has enticed me because it appears to be a formal method of diagraming systems. So.... I am interested in hearing from others about using OPM and how LabVIEW can fit into the picture. Ben PS: I'm going to cross-post this to NI.

If you are interested in OPM you may be interested in UML and SysML.... I do use UML to help with my object-oriented LabVIEW software designs and I do find it helpful....

QUOTE(Paul_at_Lowell @ Jan 3 2008, 03:04 PM)

If you are interested in OPM you may be interested in UML and SysML.... I do use UML to help with my object-oriented LabVIEW software designs and I do find it helpful....

Hi Paul,

I started reading one of the recomended books on UML so I can better understand how to develop using the State Chart tool kit. Are you using the State Chart toolkit when you say you use UML?

Ben

QUOTE(neB @ Jan 3 2008, 01:41 PM)

Well, no, although that product sounds quite interesting. We had already invested in Telelogic TAU (http://www.telelogic.com/products/tau/index.cfm). An interestingly less expensive application I have found out about more recently is Enterprise Architect (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/). Both have modules for SysML. Endevo makes a LabVIEW-oriented UML tool (http://www.endevo.se/index.php/en/Produkte...eller-1.2.html) that uses five of the UML diagrams and works with their GOOP classes. I recall they were talking about making it work with LVOOP classes but I don't know the current status on that. The NI LabVIEW Statechart Module and Endevo's offering both allow one to generate LabVIEW code automatically (and Endevo's tool can generate a model from existing code). (The others can generate code, but not in LabVIEW.) I use UML for modeling (more or less sketching) only and find that to be helpful, for example, when I am modeling a system with many states and want to make sure I understand all the transitions.

Paul

• 3 months later...