PC/104 Real Time System

NateO

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new to LabView and even newer to this forum. Please go easy on me.

We're looking to build a real time data acquisition system that runs on an x86 based PC/104 single board computer. We'd like to use LabView to do the software development but I'm having a heck of a time finding any information about what would be required to make a LabView application run successfully on a PC/104 SBC. Specifically, what are my operating system options (I know VxWorks will work, but are there other RTOS's out there that will do?) and are there any minimum system requirements I need to worry about?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Hopefully I won't be asking silly questions for long.

-Nate

QUOTE(NateO @ Jan 10 2008, 04:34 PM)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new to LabView and even newer to this forum. Please go easy on me.

We're looking to build a real time data acquisition system that runs on an x86 based PC/104 single board computer. We'd like to use LabView to do the software development but I'm having a heck of a time finding any information about what would be required to make a LabView application run successfully on a PC/104 SBC. Specifically, what are my operating system options (I know VxWorks will work, but are there other RTOS's out there that will do?) and are there any minimum system requirements I need to worry about?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Hopefully I won't be asking silly questions for long.

While VxWorks is used for the NI-RT targets such as newer Fieldpoint Modules or CRIO controllers I do not think you can just go and install any VxWorks OS and then use that from LabVIEW-RT. The RT OS on those targets definitely has been customized to allow LabVIEW RT to directly work with them. The other option that is more likely to work is the Pharlap OS. NI sells the LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Standard PC's- ETS RTOS which is based on this OS. There you have official support to install a LabVIEW RT supported RTOS on your own computer hardware although there are some specific requirements such as for the network interface.

The only other solution I see if you want to use LabVIEW is LabVIEW Embedded. But there you have to customize the environment to interface to the tool chain for your target system, if you dont happen to use a target that is already supported and I'm not aware of an already existing PC104 target.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(NateO @ Jan 10 2008, 10:34 PM)

Welcome!

QUOTE(NateO @ Jan 10 2008, 10:34 PM)

I agree with what Rolf already said.

Your next step should be contacting your local NI sales representative and discuss your application with him. He should be able to tell you what's possible and what's not. Maybe he also knows an insteresting option for alternative hardware (if you are not 100% bound to your decision already).