Labview with SAP

QUOTE(vronto31 @ Jan 31 2008, 12:43 PM)

Hi

Can I connect Labview with SAP. If yes, is there some material or document I can use for help.

Thanks

Vronto

I haven't used it with SAP yet but another company wide database management system called BAAN. This used to be a rather popular system here in the Netherlands but is going to get replaced more and more by SAP it seems.

However BAAN was built on top of the Oracle database engine and therefore the Oracle ODBC access proofed perfect for what we needed.

Don't tell your IT guys that you are using LabVIEW, just ask them how to access their system from any client application through either ODBC or ADO. Once you know the specifics such as what ODBC/ADO driver to use and what parameters to use to connect and query the database you can just go about it much the same as you did with Acess.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 24 2008, 02:54 AM)

Why does (almost) everybody have such issues with IT?

I think they should be serving not demanding... :headbang:

Well, I guess managing IT infrastructure is a rather thankless job. If you do it right nobody notices, but every hickup is made into a big issue immediately. Add to that the extra difficulties that software manufactureres throw into the picture to protect their interests and it gets really difficult.

As far as acessing the company database is concerned. Imagine someone doing something that shuts down the system somehow. That can be fatal for nowadays interconnected workflow processes so there are of course concerns. My experience in that is that often lower management has this nice idea about how to automate testing or production and asks the programmer if it is possible to connect to the database. Our first technical reaction is what for a system and then, oh well yes of course we just use ODBC, ADO or whatever. Now IT is as the dead about such things. It could potentionally disrupt the whole system and if it does they are the ones that get beaten first.

So the solution is to get lower management to talk with higher management and convince them that this is a good thing and once they are convinced they will tell IT to make it happen and everything suddenly works smooth. It's politics yes, and we all are technical people for some reason among one of them probably that we don't like politics to much. But you can't beat the system you have to play along with it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 24 2008, 02:54 AM)

Why does (almost) everybody have such issues with IT? I think they should be serving not demanding...

Sometimes, as IT infrastructure users, it feels like IT is demanding, but (at least from my experiences) there's always a reason behind it. Take my IT department for example: I think in the application and repository domain (we do a lot of EIM) - I don't think in the multi-user interoperatbility or security domains - that's their job. They don't lcok stuff down to thwart me - but they do have a big-picture view of the corporate EIM domain. They seriously try to help me to do whatever I need to, and they use my experience to do it. So, I don't go to them with a "you need to open this port and install this on that server" attitude - that's almost always going to be shot down, usually because I don't appreciate the outside-domain impact that it's going to have. Instead, I go to them with the technical challenge: I'd like to access data from our production database for display to a particular level of user.

I think almost all instances of those-IT-bastards-won't-let-me-do-what-I-need-to-do-to-get-my-job-done are due to lack of communication (usually on both sides), not elitism. :2cents:

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 24 2008, 02:57 PM)

I think almost all instances of those-IT-bastards-won't-let-me-do-what-I-need-to-do-to-get-my-job-done are due to lack of communication (usually on both sides), not elitism. :2cents:

Yes, on a personal base I can feel our IT department very well. The management that is telling me (and them) limiting in our work is most of the time the reason of frustration.

Ton