Ability to run selected section of block diagram

Ability to run selected section of the block diagram without having to run the entire VI. This would be a useful debugging feature.

Right now I have to select the portion I'm interested in, and create a new VI out of it (or a subVI, with the drawback that I can't easily undo the changes to the original VI)

Would be nice to just be able to select a section of the block diagram of interest, interactively initialize the inputs or optionally use the default values, and run it.

QUOTE(PatNN @ Feb 1 2008, 03:28 AM)

Ability to run selected section of the block diagram without having to run the entire VI. This would be a useful debugging feature.

Right now I have to select the portion I'm interested in, and create a new VI out of it (or a subVI, with the drawback that I can't easily undo the changes to the original VI)

Would be nice to just be able to select a section of the block diagram of interest, interactively initialize the inputs or optionally use the default values, and run it.

Well that is why you put stuff in one VI, to do unit tests and stuff.

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 1 2008, 03:03 AM)

Well that is why you put stuff in one VI, to do unit tests and stuff.

Ton

Yes, in 90% of the cases, I agree.

Strangely enough, I just posted a similar feature request at another forum ;)

There are cases where you have to test your vi as embedded into the final code, but don't want to run the entire thing to get to where you want to be...

Now, you have to remember, this is the "Wish List" section... I'm sure this feature would be a sunnovogun to implement... But hey, we gatta keep them NI folks busy!..

Good suggestion!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(PatNN @ Jan 31 2008, 06:28 PM)

I'd be thrilled if I could simply ignore sections of code while I'm debugging. For instance, if I'm stepping through code that contains parallel loops I'm constantly being shifted around the block diagram to view the next code step when I'm only interested in the code in *this* loop. It gets frustrating.

QUOTE(Daklu @ Feb 19 2008, 02:33 PM)

...if I'm stepping through code that contains parallel loops I'm constantly being shifted around the block diagram to view the next code step when I'm only interested in the code in *this* loop.

So you want a diagram disable structure that disables the code outside the structure, instead of inside it? That's a freakin' awsome idea! :thumbup:

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 19 2008, 12:11 PM)

So you want a diagram disable structure that disables the code outside the structure, instead of inside it? That's a freakin' awsome idea! :thumbup:

Wish I could lay claim to it, but that's actually the op's idea. It's a little difficult to explain what I'm asking for. I want to be able to select or otherwise indicate the code segment I am interested in. All the code is executed but only the selected code is "debugged." Any non-selected code that executes while I'm stepping through my selected code isn't highlighted, doesn't display values, doesn't change my view to that to that location, etc.

I created a vi that illustrates the problem I'm hoping this would address. Open the block diagram, click Highlight Execution, and step through the math loop.