Multiple Glyphs Columns

Well, the "special" MCL that PJM extracted is definitely not the same beast as any MCL that I've tried (even back to LV6.0). Just look at what happens when you play with the "Symbols Visible" boolean...

Download File:post-3266-1207897024.vi

From this, it looks like the special MCL is 0-based for the "Symbols Visible" active cell column, while any other MCL is base-1.

Somewhere out there, there was a MCL that behaves differently than all the rest. Maybe someone who has an older version of LV can check it out...when was the MCL introduced? Of course, this may be a control that never made it out of NI's door...and was just used in compiled code.

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Feb 11 2008, 10:12 PM)

Thanks, for this serious hacking!

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Apr 10 2008, 10:28 PM)

PS: Now, go give your $10 to LAVA
:P

I made it a 20 (a lousy €13).

Does anyone have an idea why NI wouldn't release this MCL (as an XControl?)

Ton

• 3 months later...

Well boy didn't this thread die out.

I've got something for y'all to ponder the pojundery

Should/Could we try to get the same functionality out of the other columns in a tree control?

I've got a situation where having glyphs or indentations in those other columns would come in handy.

I realize I could try to do this w/ 2 separate tree controls or a variety of combination's, but to pull it off in 1 control would be pretty darn cool!!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

This is an old thread, so I understand if nobody answers ;) 

I need to be able to have check boxes in multiple columns, in my case 12 columns. I tried the MCL control that PJM found and I was able to get the symbols to show in 8 columns, more than that does not work.  Any ideas how to get this done?

I could always go back to the hack of old days of using the Symbol font and show the check box this way, but I want to see if there is better way.

Thanks,

Fab

This is an old thread, so I understand if nobody answers ;)

I need to be able to have check boxes in multiple columns, in my case 12 columns. I tried the MCL control that PJM found and I was able to get the symbols to show in 8 columns, more than that does not work.  Any ideas how to get this done?

I could always go back to the hack of old days of using the Symbol font and show the check box this way, but I want to see if there is better way.

Thanks,

Fab

..or just use the old nice Picture control, lot of fun work though :-)

I think this is the originally posted MCL, but with code to display symbols in a specified number of rows-columns.

attachicon.gifMultiColumnListbox with MultiColumnSymbols.vi

/J

Thank you so much! I see what I did wrong, I was trying to set the symbols for the entire row at once and I was only getting the first 8 columns populated. Doh!  :frusty:

I needed to set one cell at a time inside the for loop. 

Thanks again,

Fab

• 1 year later...

I think this is the originally posted MCL, but with code to display symbols in a specified number of rows-columns.

attachicon.gifMultiColumnListbox with MultiColumnSymbols.vi

/J

Here's the corrected version that behaves correctly, delete symbols if you decrease rows/colums between two run and actually displays the right symbol front of the corresponding number.

LV 2013SP1

David Koch

MultiColumnListbox with MultiColumnSymbols corrected.vi

Edited by David Koch
  • Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know of a version of this control that can have a transparent background?

Here is a Classic MCLB which can have its cells be transparent, and have symbols in all columns.  System controls can't be colored, and the modern one I couldn't get to be transparent.  It might be possible but the classic was easy.

MCLB Symbols In All Columns Transparent.vi

• Thanks 1

Here is a Classic MCLB which can have its cells be transparent, and have symbols in all columns.  System controls can't be colored, and the modern one I couldn't get to be transparent.  It might be possible but the classic was easy.

MCLB Symbols In All Columns Transparent.vi 6.57 kB ·

Almost. The classic one cannot change the colour of the scroll bars. I think I need a modern one (which can be changed).

Perfect. Thanks hooovahh. Did you use flarns tool?

No.  For the transparent-ness I customized the control in the control editor, moved the cells a little to reveal the back which was a shade of grey.  I colored it transparent, then moved the cells back to where they were, then painted the white cells transparent.  For the glyphs, if you have an INI key you get a right click menu on MCLB that is  you Enable Glyphs In All Cells, I think the INI is EnableSecretPopups=True.  Then you can enable it for any MCLB, and I think tree.  It also gives other menus like having parts of a button move or grow with a button as it is resized.

I think the INI is EnableSecretPopups=True.  Then you can enable it for any MCLB, and I think tree.  It also gives other menus like having parts of a button move or grow with a button as it is resized.

Ah. It seems the ability came in in 2011 (was working in 2009). I was opening your controls in 2018 and back-saving to 2009, so it seems these features that are enabled are preserved with back-saving, which is useful to know. Also, I didn't realise that we now have a way (via ini-file) of making these controls multiple glyphs-I missed that memo (your link).

So thanks again.

• 5 months later...

I think the INI is EnableSecretPopups=True.  Then you can enable it for any MCLB, and I think tree.  It also gives other menus like having parts of a button move or grow with a button as it is resized.

Excuse my stupidity, but I put that "EnableSecretPopups=True" in my INI, but still cannot find the option to enable multiple symbols in a MCLB. Not sure if I am looking in the wrong spot or if I need another INI key.

Thanks

mcduff

6 minutes ago, Sam2004mai said:

Why this website suffers from broken links i cannot download any of post linked examples. can anybody help post again the MCL example with multi Glyph.

I can download the files from this thread just fine.

I'll try sending you a private message with the VI

Edited by Antoine Chalons
Just sent private message with file as an attachement, hope this helps

Well some of these posts are from 11 years ago, and there have been lots of back end changes since then.  We try to keep all the content we can but in some migrations things are lost.  That being said I can download the newest attachments.

A while ago before I was a moderator there was a pretty catastrophic crash with all content of the forum being lost.  One such awesome engineer realized he had setup subscriptions to the forum, and would get an email for every reply someone made.  Because of this he had a record of all communications made on the forum and provided it to the site admin.  I wasn't a mod then so I don't have all the details but with the help of Michael and this guy they were able to bring back lots of the old content as LAVA 1.0 Content which you'll see from time to time.  I'm unaware of what happened to attachments then, but I assume they were all lost, or manually reuploaded.

Edit: Here's more info on the crash.