Recommended device to measure distances

Phil Duncan

Hi All,

First off, if there is a more appropriate forum for this topic, please let me know and I will bother them instead :rolleyes: . However, since I will be acquiring and analysing the data from the sensors using LV, I am hoping someone here has already done this.

I need to measure the angular travel (max travel angle) and angular travel rate of a UUT using distance sensors (ultrasonic/IR etc). The UUT is a 76mm diameter plate that may be flat mirror glass, (chrome or glass first surface), curved mirror glass, stainless steel or black moulded plastic (with or without textured finish) oh and the UUT can be all of the above coated in a layer of frost, dust, salt or mud. I also need to measure current draw but that is easy.

The expected angle of travel is +/- 20 degrees from central position at 0-6 deg/sec.

Sample rate of 1kHz and linear accuracy of +/- 0.012mm, angular accuracy of +/- 0.01 degrees is also required.

It is anticipated I will use 3 or 4 sensors to calculate angles and angular rates.

Does anyone know an appropriate sensor that will achieve this?

I have found a few sensor sites but I cannot find the tech data (accuracy, sample rate etc).

Any and all help is very greatly appreciated.

Cheers & Beers

:thumbup: :beer:

QUOTE(Phil Duncan @ Feb 5 2008, 01:14 AM)

Hi All,

First off, if there is a more appropriate forum for this topic, please let me know and I will bother them instead :rolleyes: . However, since I will be acquiring and analysing the data from the sensors using LV, I am hoping someone here has already done this.

I need to measure the angular travel (max travel angle) and angular travel rate of a UUT using distance sensors (ultrasonic/IR etc). The UUT is a 76mm diameter plate that may be flat mirror glass, (chrome or glass first surface), curved mirror glass, stainless steel or black moulded plastic (with or without textured finish) oh and the UUT can be all of the above coated in a layer of frost, dust, salt or mud. I also need to measure current draw but that is easy.

The expected angle of travel is +/- 20 degrees from central position at 0-6 deg/sec.

Sample rate of 1kHz and linear accuracy of +/- 0.012mm, angular accuracy of +/- 0.01 degrees is also required.

It is anticipated I will use 3 or 4 sensors to calculate angles and angular rates.

Does anyone know an appropriate sensor that will achieve this?

I have found a few sensor sites but I cannot find the tech data (accuracy, sample rate etc).

Any and all help is very greatly appreciated.

Cheers & Beers

:thumbup: :beer:

What is rotating the surface? It seems an encoder would work for your application.

Keyence is worth checking for these type of measurements.

Encoders may help depending on the range of measurements.

Alternatively, laser printers used a rotating mirror to scan the laser spot across a drum belt etc. sensors before and after the "scan window" were used to sync the laser modulation with the beam postion. So if you have the luxury of attaching a small mirror to the shaft....

Ben