What flavor of Linux do you recomend for LV use?

LAVA 1.0 Content

QUOTE(neB @ Feb 13 2008, 07:27 PM)

My wife and were planning on setting up a Linux machine at home. She found the following

Debian Linux 4.0 CD Set - $19.99

I plan on using it for LV development.Any comments or suggestions on

this project would be greatly appreciated.

Some things always freak me out, seeing a the words, 'wife', 'linux' and 'planning' in one scentence are one of those.

Be aware Debian isn't supported by NI!

I can't get Ubuntu (a Debian based OS) to install the runtime properly so NO VIPM-> No OpenG.... :throwpc:

But developing on it works like Windows.

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 13 2008, 01:38 PM)

Some things always freak me out, seeing a the words, 'wife', 'linux' and 'planning' in one scentence are one of those.

Be aware Debian isn't supported by NI!

I can't get Ubuntu (a Debian based OS) to install the runtime properly so NO VIPM-> No OpenG.... :throwpc:

But developing on it works like Windows.

Ton

:D

Thanks Ton!

So you use Ubuntu ?

Re: "The wife"

She had her MIS degree at age 23. She was managing a PDP-11/70 runnings RSX-11M+ when I met her. She focuses in computers from an IS view-point. I come at them from a hardware approach. We argue over who is responcible for E-mail. She wants to pad her resume, I want to ease my pain of an up-coming project were I will have to develop a hardware for both Windows and Linux. Since I have not touched Unix since AT&T's version 4 of Unix, I figure I should start exercising a part of my brain that has been gather cobwebs.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I actually just installed LV 8.5 on Linux this past weekend. In my case I was using PCLOS 2007 Final. (http://www.pclinuxos.com/)

PCLOS was originally based off Mandrake 8.2 But has since taken on more of a life of its own.

The basics are that it does run as a LiveCD and it uses KDE as the desktop manager and Synaptic as the package manager.

Over the last seven years or so I've taken a crack at dozens of different distributions to see how well they'd fare as a desktop system. Played with various forms of BSD, QNX, even one written entirely in assembly; Menuetos. So far I keep coming back to PCLOS.

I've been running Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) for my server needs (SVN, email, webserver, etc.) for the last 2 years and I've been really pleased with it. For one thing, I've found their forums to be really responsive on the couple occasions I've had to ask a question (more often a forum search yields a result and saves me the trouble).

However, I've never tried LabVIEW on it, so I can't speak to that.

I've used SuSE 10.x for developing with LabView 8.0 and works great, but some issue with the hardware driver dues to binary difference in version of system libraries... Some time I need to recompile drivers (like GPIB) and some time I can't properly install them... so I use it only for on developing environment (in my opinion is the best desktop environment under linux...)

But the only version of Linux, for my experiance, that work with all binaries of LabView without require to recompile anything is the CentOS 4. This is a free distribution based on official code from RedHat without the tool not under GPL... It's fast and light... GNOME based (but yuo can install KDE) and binary compatible with LabView 8.0 (and also 8.5 I believe...). I use it on production environment.

Osvaldo

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Feb 14 2008, 10:59 AM)
Did you try this with the latest version of LabVIEW? I thought we had fixed the installation issues with Ubuntu, including the mesa issue. Our installers are supposed to support installation without RPM, and I know we've tested it. It's still not officially supported, but it has been tested and should work. Which version were you using?QUOTE(neB @ Feb 13 2008, 12:27 PM)

Hi all,My wife and were planning on setting up a Linux machine at home. She found the following
"
Debian Linux 4.0 CD Set - $19.99
"
I plan on using it for
LV
development.Any comments or suggestions on this project would be greatly appreciated.Thank you,Ben

If you're just using it at home, then you probably don't need to bother buying Linux. Just download it. No matter which distribution you choose you can download the .iso image of the CDs and burn them yourself.If you want support, then you should consider buying a commercial version like RedHat Enterprise Linux, SuSE Enterprise, or a payed version of Mandriva. Those are the versions we officially support. For more information, see http://www.ni.com/linux/ and http://www.ni.com/linux/labview.htm

QUOTE(Adam Kemp @ Feb 14 2008, 11:05 AM)

Did you try this with the latest version of LabVIEW? I thought we had fixed the installation issues with Ubuntu, including the mesa issue. Our installers are supposed to support installation without RPM, and I know we've tested it. It's still not officially supported, but it has been tested and should work. Which version were you using?

I believe that I've installed LabVIEW 8.0 and 8.2 on Ubuntu. I don't think that I've installed 8.5, yet.

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 13 2008, 07:38 PM)

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Feb 14 2008, 05:59 PM)

LabVIEW can be installed on Ubuntu (or Debian), but you need to convert the RPM packages to DEB packages using alien before they can be installed. Also, after the installation you will need to fix a symbolic link to the mesa shared library.

QUOTE(Adam Kemp @ Feb 14 2008, 08:05 PM)

Did you try this with the latest version of LabVIEW? I thought we had fixed the installation issues with Ubuntu, including the mesa issue. Our installers are supposed to support installation without RPM, and I know we've tested it.

Jim can you tell how you installed the runtime of LabVIEW on Ubuntu?

Adam, I think you're right. If I install LabVIEW 8.2.1 on Ubuntu the installer uses the 'NoRPM' procedure.

But could somebody tell a little bit technical guy in plain english how to install the Runtime Engine :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

This would be highly appreciated.

Ton

(and my next home PC might not need windows :shifty: )

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Feb 14 2008, 12:08 PM)

Jim can you tell how you installed the runtime of LabVIEW on Ubuntu?

Adam, I think you're right. If I install LabVIEW 8.2.1 on Ubuntu the installer uses the 'NoRPM' procedure.

But could somebody tell a little bit technical guy in plain english how to install the Runtime Engine :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

This would be highly appreciated.

Ton

(and my next home PC might not need windows :shifty: )

Here is how to install the LabVIEW 8.0 run-time engine on Ubuntu. I hope it works for you.

1) Install alien using the Synaptic Package Manager (System>>Administration>>Synaptic Package Manager) and make sure that it automatically installs the various other dependencies, such as rpm.

2) Install the LabVIEW runtime engine files:

sudo alien -ic labview80-rte-8.0.1-1.i386.rpm labview-rte-aal-1.1-1.i386.rpm

3) Install libosmesa6 using the Synaptic Package Manager.

4) Create a symbolic link so that the LabVIEW runtime can find libOSMesa.so.4

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.6 /usr/lib/libOSMesa.so.4

That's all there is to it. After completing these steps, you should be able to run the VIPM 1.0 installer.

Notes: You should install LabVIEW and the runtime engines in the order they were released (e.g., 8.0 before 8.2). I have had bad results trying to install the LabVIEW 8.0 runtime engine after the 8.2 runtime engine. The problem is probably fixable, but is beyond me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

I have been struggling with the same thing: what flavor of Linux to use for LabView.

I am now running LV 8.2.1, Visa and Daqmx Base under Suse 10.3. It all works. It was a bit of struggle though to figure out what was going on. Before I have always used LV under windows.

But, now I am putting together a little embedded system, and I would like to keep the OS down to 300 MB. Suse is way, way larger, but ofcourse I could strip it down and see where I get.

An other way is to use PCLinuxOS which has some cute little offsprings like Tinyme. I can install LabView Runtime, by unpacking the RPM's, and even run some compiled code. But VISA comes with an install script and when I run that it gives a "bad Interpreter" error. So, where to go from here. Did you guys come across the same thing in PClinuxOS, and how did you fix it? Any ideas?

Ach I can always strip suse, bring on the scandalous music!

Bye, and thanks,

Wytze

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

Actually, i just installed labview 8.5 on my ubuntu linux. I can say that it is success. But then, I have a question. Is there NI Vision Development module that be able to install on Ubuntu linux? Because currently, I'm running a project that involve with vision. before this i develop my labview algorithm on OS Windox XP pro. then now, i just want to try develop on linux. I hope that i can get the answer for my question. Thank you in advance

QUOTE (Amri @ Oct 31 2008, 10:50 AM)

Hi there,

Actually, i just installed labview 8.5 on my ubuntu linux. I can say that it is success. But then, I have a question. Is there NI Vision Development module that be able to install on Ubuntu linux? Because currently, I'm running a project that involve with vision. before this i develop my labview algorithm on OS Windox XP pro. then now, i just want to try develop on linux. I hope that i can get the answer for my question. Thank you in advance

NI Vision is not currently supported on Linux (and there are no plans to offer support that I have heard about).

QUOTE (TobyD @ Nov 1 2008, 03:58 AM)

NI Vision is not currently supported on Linux (and there are no plans to offer support that I have heard about).

Thanks TobyD for the answer. at least I don't have to waste my precious time searching for the that. I think now what I'm gonna do is continue using Window to develop my Labview Algorithm since i've no other choice :rolleyes: .

• 1 year later...