Replace a DLL called from Labview VI

Hi!

Suppose one creates a .NET DLL to use it from within Labview. Then I can use the external library call functions of Labview. But if I detect an error in the DLL, and decide to replace it, I recompile the DLL but I always have to close down Labview completely before I can exchange the file, otherwise it is in use.

Is there no other way than shutting down Labview completely to exchange an external DLL? Why does it keep references to the DLL open all the time?

Thank you!

QUOTE(professor_rumsdiegeige @ Feb 19 2008, 01:42 PM)

Hi!

Suppose one creates a .NET DLL to use it from within Labview. Then I can use the external library call functions of Labview. But if I detect an error in the DLL, and decide to replace it, I recompile the DLL but I always have to close down Labview completely before I can exchange the file, otherwise it is in use.

Is there no other way than shutting down Labview completely to exchange an external DLL? Why does it keep references to the DLL open all the time?

Thank you!

Yes, you will have to shut down labview to replace the DLL. LabVIEW keeps a reference open to your DLL and won't let you replace it on disk.

If you are using LabVIEW 8.2 or higher you could try using the path input to the external code block. If you define the path at runtime you could easily LabVIEW load your DLL dynamically.