Programatic control of the Context Help Window

I know you can use a property node to update a VI's description block, the content of which does appear in the Context Help window. You could simply read the help file into the program and pass it to description. That would be the only way I can think of to do it. Though could to think of it you can add help file links to a VI using the help tag and help path windows on the VI documentation window. These can also be updated via a property node programmatically.

I hope this helps.

Jason

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Mar 26 2008, 03:24 AM)

Does anyone knows if there is any way (involving scripting or not) to programatically get the context window to display a specific VI documentation?

This is a kludge (I know it's not what you want, but it's something that actually worked pretty well for an old project of mine): Open a reference to the VI that you want to get the data from, then read it's "VI Description" (it's a the text from the VI documentation), then feed that into the "Description" of the FP node that the mouse if over - the context help window will update with the new description of the FP node. (I *think* I had to do this on a "Mouse Move" event to make sure the context help window updated, but I don't remember...)

Hey - I warned you that it was a kludge :)

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Mar 26 2008, 08:24 AM)

Does anyone knows if there is any way (involving scripting or not) to programatically get the context window to display a specific VI documentation?

For instance I am looking for something that would take a VI path and will get the help windows to display this VI documentation.

Thanks

PJM

Their is a private method to return the image of the VI icon including the wire descriptors (just as it is shown in the help window).

I'll look it up tomorrow.

Ton

QUOTE (crelf @ Mar 26 2008, 07:38 AM)

This is a kludge (I know it's not what you want, but it's something that actually worked pretty well for an old project of mine): Open a reference to the VI that you want to get the data from, then read it's "VI Description" (it's a the text from the VI documentation), then feed that into the "Description" of the FP node that the mouse if over - the context help window will update with the new description of the FP node. (I *think* I had to do this on a "Mouse Move" event to make sure the context help window updated, but I don't remember...)

Hey - I warned you that it was a kludge :)

Chris,

I already contemplated this solution and I am keeping it as a backup solution because by doing this you can't have the VI icon image and terminal name like you have natively when mousing over an SubVI/Primitive.

Thanks though.

PJM

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Mar 26 2008, 12:57 PM)

I already contemplated this solution and I am keeping it as a backup solution because by doing this you can't have the VI icon image and terminal name like you have natively when mousing over an SubVI/Primitive. Thanks though.

No worries - it's a pretty grotty way of doing things, but I can't think of any other way that would work. :(

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Mar 26 2008, 05:40 PM)

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Mar 26 2008, 05:57 PM)

can't have the VI icon image and terminal name like you have natively when mousing over an SubVI/Primitive.

Et voila:

post-2399-1206556472.png?width=400

The Whisker info describes where the controls are located in the icon.

Ton

Thanks Ton, I am aware of this method, and there is another one that works for primitive (see image below). But I am trying to have the existing context help window to programmatically display a VI Description (like you have when you natively mouse over a SubVI/Primitive). I am not trying to rewrite the help window feature (although I may have to).

post-121-1206565658.png?width=400

Note1: The attached VI shown in the screenshot will crash LV for indices value around 330, so save your stuff if you want to play with this.

Note2: Here is one of the "primitive" image I got using this VI: Coerce to Type...

post-121-1206565899.png?width=400

PJM

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Mar 26 2008, 10:13 PM)

Thanks Ton, I am aware of this method, and there is another one that works for primitive (see image below).

Thanks

I am not trying to rewrite the help window feature (although I may have to).

And did you?

Ton

The "Get Conpane Image" method also provides the help image for the VI.

post-1450-1209563163.jpg?width=400

BTW, the Coerce To Type function seems a conversion tool, probably unfinished. The description says: "Coerce the input to become the datatype associated with type and returns the results at the output terminal". Here you have a VI with the node.

Download File:post-1450-1209563170.vi

Saludos,

Aitor

Umm, is that a skull in the decompose and recompose icons...? :o

post-1450-1209566472.jpg?width=400

Ya, I played with the "Get Conpane Image" too.

I actually gave up trying to programatically control of the Context Help Window (or create my own one) for the time being.

About the decompose and recompose icons, I think you are right. This definitively look like a skull.

PJM

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Apr 30 2008, 11:47 AM)

I actually gave up trying to programatically control of the Context Help Window (or create my own one) for the time being.

:question: I wonder if you could use a user32.dll (or the like - I don't remember right now) to make the context help window a child of a parent VI front panel window and manipulate the VI...