Earth Hour

orko

Just in case you somehow missed Google this morning

post-3266-1206799154.png?width=400

This is to promote

, which I think is a great idea. What does it hurt to turn your lights out for 1hr? I'm anxious to see how successful they will be this year (even though I think it will be very hard to measure accurately).

QUOTE (Yen @ Mar 29 2008, 12:14 PM)

That's interesting, since Google claims that black is the same as white when it comes to power consumption on modern day monitors. They just "turned the lights out" so people would take notice of the "Earth Hour" tonight.

QUOTE (orko @ Mar 29 2008, 07:51 PM)

Right - there's very little, if any, power consumption differences when using an LCD monitor. CRT monitors, on the other hand, do use more power when displaying brighter images. So, if you're still using a CRT monitor, tell your boss that switching to a new LCD will help save the planet :D

QUOTE (crelf @ Mar 30 2008, 08:16 AM)

So, if you're still using a CRT monitor, tell your boss that switching to a new LCD will help save the planet :D

I've asked for two, since that would be saving two planets, right?

Some people in Toronto took things a little too far for Earth Hour.

Last night I was chatting with a friend of mine that does IT work for a large law firm in the city. He got an email from his SysAdmin over the weekend letting him know that entire system had unknowingly been switched over to UPS power when the building owners decided to start throwing breakers at 4pm. (I guess they wanted to get a head start)

Because of the way it was done, no alarms went off. Everything just ran along until the UPS systems were completely dry.

Oops. :oops:

Of course they had to do it to a company full of lawyers too. :)

Symbolism over substance. If Google really gave a hoot they would have shut down their servers for an hour. As it turns out a lot of folks turned every light in their houses ON for an hour in protest of the hypocrisy.

However, as a matter of fact I turned ALL of my lights OFF from about 11 PM until about 7 AM the next morning. So there.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Mar 31 2008, 08:34 AM)

Symbolism over substance. If Google really gave a hoot they would have shut down their servers for an hour. As it turns out a lot of folks turned every light in their houses ON for an hour in protest of the hypocrisy.

I was quietly celebrating all of the snow storms this winter and quiet huricane season.

Now all of us that are parents know where to stick the thermometer to measure our yougnugs temperature, so... Where do you stick the thermometer to measure the temperature of the Earth?

"Not in my backyard."

Re: Al

He may go down in history as the invetor of the Internet and the first person to get a Nobel Prize and an Oscar for a non-existing phenomenon.

Ben

PS: Something tells me I may be deleting another post before long.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Mar 31 2008, 06:34 AM)

As it turns out a lot of folks turned every light in their houses ON for an hour in protest of the hypocrisy.

I'll call your hypocrisy and raise you an act of stupidity...

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (dthomson @ Apr 9 2008, 08:39 PM)

I'd be curious, Ben, to know what phenomenon you believe doesn't exist - changing climate, the anthropogenic origin of changing climate, or something else?

That's a hijack right there :D I too would be interested to read Ben's thoughts, but I suggest you start a new thread.

QUOTE (dthomson @ Apr 9 2008, 08:39 PM)

I'd be curious, Ben, to know what phenomenon you believe doesn't exist - changing climate, the anthropogenic origin of changing climate, or something else?

DaveT

In the interest of keeping the LabVIEW Champions a cohesive group, I would like to gracefully decline responding to that follow-up question. (yes I am a wimp).

Besides concidering your line of work, I would be both out-classed and out-gunned.

But please allow me one request...

As you and yours do your thing please do so with a "jondous eye" (sp? W. Shakespear sp?) since we are really relying on you to act as dis-interested observers.

Thank you!

Ben

PS Yep! I should have deleted that post, but then again "As face answers to face and iron asnwers to iron, so does a man trieth words." So I reserve the right to take back everything I said along with eating any "humble-pie" that comes with it.

At the risk of continuing the highjacking of the thread (though in truth, the thread was already pretty far from LabVIEW and actually on a fairly related subject...)

I think perhaps you overestimate both my class and my aresenal, Ben! Though perhaps not my interest or conviction. In truth, I'm not much of a debater. But I do think the issue is important, and if you were to choose to discuss it (publicly here, or in a less public format), I would hope that we might both end up learning something.

As for your last point, I couldn't agree more. I have a personal opinion on the issue and a professional opinion, and I'm glad to share either one with anyone who is interested, under appropriate circumstances. Our recently-retired lab directory had a very strong philosophy in this regard and it rubbed off on a lot of us: professionally, our job is to acquire data and distill the best possible scientific understanding from it, then present that to the policy makers and the public in the most accurate and understandable way possible. I'm in the process now of transitioning to the private sector, but I'm proud of having spent almost two decades working for a government lab that is guided by that principle.

Cheers,

DaveT

QUOTE (neB @ Apr 10 2008, 07:18 AM)

In the interest of keeping the LabVIEW Champions a cohesive group, I would like to gracefully decline responding to that follow-up question. (yes I am a wimp).

Besides concidering your line of work, I would be both out-classed and out-gunned.

But please allow me one request...

As you and yours do your thing please do so with a "jondous eye" (sp? W. Shakespear sp?) since we are really relying on you to act as dis-interested observers.

Thank you!

Ben

PS Yep! I should have deleted that post, but then again "As face answers to face and iron asnwers to iron, so does a man trieth words." So I reserve the right to take back everything I said along with eating any "humble-pie" that comes with it.