When do you use Subroutine priority?

QUOTE (vugie @ Apr 2 2008, 08:50 AM)

BTW, I found recently a key in labview.ini file which enables "Inline SubVI" option in context menu. I inlined all subVI's of my main kd-tree searching VI (also all nested ones) and it resulted in 150 times (!!!) speed increase. I thought it was already optimized... I suppose it is because closing a part of code in subVI is a barrier for most optimal data-flow (waiting for all signals before executing subVI). But this is for another discussion...

This might be because you had non-reentrant VIs blocking execution?

Ton

I use Subroutine on my AE's that are in Time-critical loops so I can use the "Skip-if-busy" option. An example would be an AE that lets a user specify a throtle position in a jet engine simulator. The TC loop has to stay deterministic so being hung waiting for the AE would hurt, I'll skip it if the UI is updating the setting. THe TC loop use the previous value and then picks-up the new setting in the next iteration.

I also you that setting for sub-VI's that are small, run quickly, and are used all over the place in which case i think of this settings as the "run-like-He#$ option".

BTW:There was a bug in one of the LV 7.X versions were the skip-if-busy did not always skip.

Ben

QUOTE (Gary Rubin @ Apr 1 2008, 02:56 PM)
Speaking of which - I remember Greg McKaskle from info-labview. Whatever happened to him. I assume he left NI?
Nope. He's just not working on LV core anymore. He spent a couple years on the Mindstorms NXT project -- which was top secret and he couldn't talk about it, so he got out of the habit of posting. :-) He's still very much at NI.