Alfa String

alfa

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 3 2009, 10:19 PM)

So is smart analagous to intelligent? If so, what are your thoughts on the differences (and similarities) of traditional intelligence and emotional intelligence? Are they linked?

You should watch Idiocracy - it's a documentary on how the world would be in the future due to that phenomena.

Are you recruiting for Mensa (from the Mensa website: a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership of which was a high IQ... The society welcomes people from every walk of life whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population...)?

But then you have the problem that a lot of brights are Atheists which, according to Alfa are low-level.....

Why oh why did I let myself get drawin into this thread again...... :oops:

Shane.

I disagree with alfa above. Your definitions are off. There are many terms for rating attributes of the mind that are commonly confused.

Smart is often used in place of intelligent, wise, or educated. It actually means sharp; as in a sharp wit, or when hit saying, "that smarts". A comedian with fast comebacks or rapper who strings together rhymes real time would be smart. It is a social, speech related measure of the mind. This is what President Bush was bad at.

Intelligent is problem solving & logic related. IQ is a measure of intelligence alone. Intelligent people are often bad at smarts because their brain works faster than their mouth or better than they can express with words. The genius professor you hated because they could not teach you anything is an example of intelligent but not smart. Supporters of Bush claim he is in this category too.

Wise is discernment or insight into situations. This is also called 'street smarts'. It is about making judgments and choosing right. Animals are considered wise; they know no logic, have no education, yet they know what they should do in a situation. Knowing the details of clouds, what the different kinds are, and how rain forms are examples of education. Knowing to go inside because it is raining is wisdom. This is the most important thing retarded or autistic people are missing. Autistics can be genius, but may still need someone to make sure they remember to eat. Engineers are stereotyped as intelligent, but not wise.

Educated is commonly confused these days with all three of the above. An education is great for specialized job preparation, and random trivia is good for winning games. It is not a measure of the mind. It is simply a level of training. Knowing or not knowing something is simply a matter of exposure and/or training. Good spelling is from education. For example; a person that graduates high school or gets a bachelor’s degree in 8 years is just as educated as someone who finishes in 4. That does not make either of them intelligent.

It just so happens that smart, intelligent and wise people tend to also perform better and educate easier.

QUOTE (shoneill @ Jun 4 2009, 05:47 AM)

From that website:

What is a bright?

• A bright's worldview is free of supernatural and mystical elements

Therefore, based on that definition, all "brights" are athiests*.

*athiests don't like the word "athiest" to be capitalized, because that suggests it's more than it actually is, which is what a lot of reigions do.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 4 2009, 10:25 PM)

From that website:

Therefore, based on that definition, all "brights" are athiests*.

*athiests don't like the word "athiest" to be capitalized, because that suggests it's more than it actually is, which is what a lot of reigions do.

Not neccessarily, but true.

Shane.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 5 2009, 06:15 PM)

Which of my points are you commenting on?

The bit about all brights being atheists.

It's possible for somebody to believe in a god which does not involve superstition.

A Deist for example. A bright could theoretically also be a Deist.

Shane.

QUOTE (shoneill @ Jun 8 2009, 08:25 AM)

It's interesting that you bring that up, because a lot of people I've spoken to that call themselves Christians actually fall more on the side of diesm than Christianity. From here: "...Deism gives credit to the formation of life and the universe to a higher power that by design allows only natural processes to govern creation" - how much of a cop out is that?! It sounds like (during the age of enlightenment, some people were looking to have their cake and eat it too (mmmm cake... where was I?) It sounds like deists wanted to move away from supernatural religion so they made natural religious.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 8 2009, 09:53 AM)

It sounds like (during the age of enlightenment, some people were looking to have their cake and eat it too (mmmm cake... where was I?)

Well I was a Portalist, but then I relized that the cake is a lie. The other bad thing about being a Portalist is that instead of drinking poisoned cool-aid you get lowered into a fire by a computer. But there's just something fun about putting your faith in a cool gun, by jumping off a cliff knowing the Portal will always be there to safely guide you to the other side.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jun 8 2009, 07:17 AM)

Well I was a Portalist, but then I relized that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrs3gr_GAs' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">the cake is a lie. The other bad thing about being a Portalist is that instead of drinking poisoned cool-aid you get lowered into a fire by a computer. But there's just something fun about putting your faith in a cool gun, by jumping off a cliff knowing the Portal will always be there to safely guide you to the other side.

I loved this post! It makes me want to go play Portal again.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jun 8 2009, 04:17 PM)

Well I was a Portalist, but then I relized that

: "...Deism gives credit to the formation of life and the universe to a higher power that by design allows only natural processes to govern creation" - how much of a cop out is that?! It sounds like (during the
, some people were looking to have their cake and eat it too (mmmm cake... where was I?) It sounds like deists wanted to move away from supernatural religion so they made natural religious.

Of course it's a cop out. It's what happens when the indoctrinated realise something's very wrong with what they have been taught and the easiest was to ease the conflict is to be a Deist.

It's a "don't upset the boat" kind of idea.

Shane.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Jun 9 2009, 09:16 AM)

I loive the grenade work in that first one - simply open one end of the portal on a wall above your attacker, then, if he throws a grenade at you, open the other end under where the grenade lands :D That'd be awesome for rocket fire too - you'd have to get it just right, but if you did, your attacker rockets themselves...

• 4 weeks later...

I started a new book: String theory

About strings, black holes, quantum information, quantum computers…and a lot of math.

If you know some links with conferences, lectures on these topics ‘let us know’...

Hey Alpha

Your book sounds interesting. Got a target range date for publication? What's your take on String theory?

Hi JEMINIII,

nice to see you here.

String theory is the most difficult theory.

Yesterday string physicists were only at unemployment office because were considered crazy talking about 26 dimensions. Today you are not hired if you don’t know about the string theory.

Now I’m reading about AdS/CFT correspondence.

• 3 weeks later...

A Muslim thinks like a Jew or Christian from Koran, like in the Old Testament:

‘In the Day of Judgment and individual accountability for actions; in God's complete authority over human destiny and in life after death. Muslims believe in a chain of prophets starting with Adam and including Noah, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, Moses, Aaron, David, Solomon...’

Those prophets were savages like Abraham; Solomon had 10000 wives - sexual addicted savage; Noah,, Moses, Aaron savage liars, David a sexual addicted criminal....

Doesn't exist a Day of Judgment ...God doesn't judge stupid people...it’s reincarnation...

Like I said: Religion is God for dummies.

First man was born in Kenya not in Israel.

People are from animals and 98% are at animal level how I calculated - my website, and my books.

Theory of Ken Wilber:here is a link to a brief overview. http://integrallife.com/node/37539

Look at the 'levels of development' (on the left side of this colorful diagram) http://www.formlessmountain.com/aqal-scg.htm

Another theory is Trandisciplinarity, Basarab Nicolescu did some work here:

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Trandisciplinarity%2C+Basarab+Nicolescu&fr=yfp-t-152&u=www.movingworldviews.net/Downloads/Papers/Nicolescu.pdf&w=trandisciplinarity+basarab+nicolescu&d=OQhwnhlMS9Gk&icp=1&.intl=us

What theory do you like?

Yesterday in the morning on the bus the secret police here in Romania started the aggression against me; later in the front of the church another guy show me an injection, and here at library they told me to quit the computer...Today they closed the computer at math faculty and the police pushed me and brought me to their department because I tried to protect a poor woman because the police took her small bunch of flower. Here you can sell only with police.

To understand how corrupt is this post-communist Romania: the highest number of PhD are at Police Academy.

How to relocate in North America when I didn't have a job there?

I saw here son of policemen officer is at GM(no wonder they bankrupt), son of police

general is working at Canadian government, all the communists I knew have at least a house in Canada...They brought their parents there.

You are neghbors now!

Like I said it's resonance between animals!