Defer Sub-Panel Updates

Hello,

In an application using subpanels I discovered a problem when using "defer panel updates" property. I was not sure what reference (or panel) to use : 1) the VI with the subpanel container or the 2) VI loaded in the subpanel. It seems that when I use (1) the panel is not updated at all anymore (even after turning the updates on again) however with (2) it works. I did not expect this behavior I expected the same behavior for both (I only have one subpanel and nothing else on the parent VI).

Does anyone knows why exactly to use the loaded subpanel reference and why reference (1) does not update at all anymore or could this be a bug?

I use LabVIEW 8.5.1 (since 2 days).

THX,

Donald

Yes, this a confirmed bug with NI. I ran into this in 8.2. Not sure if and when they plan to fix it. I told them that the parent should 'inherit' the defer updates setting from the child.

For now, my solution is to defer both when I want to draw something time consuming, like a tree control update.

This does lead to some complex logic...

-John

QUOTE (jlokanis @ Apr 9 2008, 08:50 PM)

Yes, this a confirmed bug with NI. ...I told them that the parent should 'inherit' the defer updates setting from the child.

-John

Do you have a CAR nuber for this bug?

Could you explain why the parent should inherits from the child? I would think it should be the other way around. LV 8.5 has been much better with the defer FP updates than LV 8.2.1 was! I had to upgrade in mid development because of GUI update issues that were associated with the Defer FP updates.

I have been just defering in the sub-panel and that seems to work fine in LV 8.5.

Since my GUIs use multiple sub-panels attempting to syncronize the parent defer with ALL sub-panel defers is an issue I have avoided.

Your thought?

Ben

Thanks for the comments.

I can imagine that there was something wrong in 8.2.1 if I see my code. The same application was very slow under LV8.5 but with 8.5.1 it runs much faaaaaster if I defer updates from subpanel refs, while in 8.2.1 it was the parent panel ref. (screen update without defer is around 500 ms with defer 20 ms!!).

I had to takle a memory problem with unbundling/indexing waveforms in 8.5.1, it looks like a memory leak... or at least I don't understand the problem yet. I try to isolate the problem today. The new In Place structure was the solution for my memory problem (I moved to 8.5 for this In Place because I have huge datasets.)