LabVIEW for Windows CE Performance

viSci

Greetings,

I am interested in getting some performance benchmarks on LV running under Windows CE. I would think that, in theory, it

should be possible to achieve real time performance in the league of LVRT which runs under the VXworks OS. I went looking

in the LVPDA 8.5 help for details on the implementation of the timed loop but could not find anything except some mention that

while loops execute with cooperative multitasking with a 50ms timeslice. I hope that is not the upper end of performance!

Mike Sachs

viScience

QUOTE (sachsm @ Apr 14 2008, 09:49 PM)

Greetings,

I am interested in getting some performance benchmarks on LV running under Windows CE. I would think that, in theory, it

should be possible to achieve real time performance in the league of LVRT which runs under the VXworks OS. I went looking

in the LVPDA 8.5 help for details on the implementation of the timed loop but could not find anything except some mention that

while loops execute with cooperative multitasking with a 50ms timeslice. I hope that is not the upper end of performance!

Mike Sachs

viScience

Windows CE or Windows Mobile as it is named nowadays really is not a realtime OS at all. It is rather designed to bring the Windows desktop experience to small and resource restricted devices than to do anything in realtime. And the LabVIEW module to create applications for PDA devices certainly doesn't make many attempts to squezze extra performance out of the whole thing. In my experience LabVIEW PDA is best used to create simple GUIs for control and/or supervision of RT applications or such elsewhere, such as on a cRIO target or similar.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Apr 15 2008, 12:24 AM)

Windows CE or Windows Mobile as it is named nowadays really is not a realtime OS at all. It is rather designed to bring the Windows desktop experience to small and resource restricted devices than to do anything in realtime. And the LabVIEW module to create applications for PDA devices certainly doesn't make many attempts to squezze extra performance out of the whole thing. In my experience LabVIEW PDA is best used to create simple GUIs for control and/or supervision of RT applications or such elsewhere, such as on a cRIO target or similar.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Well, you may be correct but here is a report that makes it seem like Windows CE has more capability than that.

www.qnx.com/download/download/8124/QNX_Neutrino_v61_vs_VXAE_and_WinCE.pdf -