Can't use the apostrophe in Firefox 3.5 Beta

This is the first time I have seen this problem. So it is probably only happening with this version of the browser.

When I try to use the apostrophe, the "Quick Find" toolbar in Firefox opens and steals focus. Turns out that this is pretty annoying. Not sure how to fix it, or if it will be fixed in a future release.

QUOTE (pallen @ Apr 18 2008, 06:12 PM)

Hi,

I had the same problem with Firefox 2 when I was using this microsoft power toy : Virtual Desktop Manager (to be found here : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...powertoys.mspx)

It was rather tricky, after changing from a desktop to another, pressing the apostroph key with Firefox on top would open the "quick find", but if you hit "F11" twice the apostroph key works like normal. Switch to another desktop and back again to the one that holds Firefox, you have to re-hit "F11" twice to have the key working.

I got fed up with the MS VDM because it created a couple of other "funny bugs" like that . I uninstalled and now everything goes well.

PS : I'm still using Firefox 2 (latest sub-version)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.

Oddly enough, as I'm replying to this I'm noticing that the apostrophe is working as it should. I guess little oddities like this are to be expected with Beta software.

I also played with the MS Virtual Desktop Manager. I've been using one form of Linux or another for my desktop at home for a number of years, so I was pretty stoked at the thought of having multiple desktops in Windows too.

When I installed it though, my laptop took a pretty serious performance hit. There were little bugs like the one you mentioned. Plus, my whole system seemed less stable in general. Not good when you're trying to use that as a development machine. :throwpc:

I don't know why the apostrophe started working now. But I'm happy it is.

QUOTE (pallen @ Apr 18 2008, 06:22 PM)

When I installed it though, my laptop took a pretty serious performance hit. There were little bugs like the one you mentioned. Plus, my whole system seemed less stable in general. Not good when you're trying to use that as a development machine. :throwpc:

lol

just like me ! micro$oft is good at copying nice features from others and adding "easter eggs", that's their signature...

QUOTE (Antoine @ Apr 18 2008, 08:22 AM)

I had the same problem with Firefox 2 when I was using this microsoft power toy : Virtual Desktop Manager

I occasionally see the same problem in Firefox 2, as well, but I'm not using that power toy. Usually closing/reopening some tabs gets it back to normal, but in rare cases I have to restart Firefox entirely. I usually just chalk it up to the general psychosis of Windows, and move on.

But I'm disappointed to hear that someone is still seeing it in Firefox 3. I was sort of hoping it would magically disappear.