Multiple email addresses for each account

QUOTE (crelf @ Apr 22 2008, 11:13 AM)

Sounds like something I could try out at home, but here at work, I'm sure the IT Nazis would throttle me. They often make it seem as though they are doing us a big favor that they even let us out on the Internet. And forget actually installing any unapproved software. I managed to sneak Google Earth in on them last month, but after a couple days They sniffed it out and disappeared it.

But in case I need to be more specific, here's what I want to do: I'm "watching" a couple threads. I get an email if there is a reply to one of them. I'd like that email to be sent to more than one address. Is this possible now?

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 22 2008, 07:39 AM)

Is there some way to have multiple email addresses tagged to one account?

If you are using Outlook at work you can setup LAVA to send the email to work and then create a custom rule in your Outlook inbox that automatically forwards those emails to your home address. Here's how (if you are not using outlook, there is still probably a way to make this work - most enterprise mail systems allow similar functionality) ...

1. On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.
  2. If you have more than one e-mail account in your Outlook e-mail profile, then in the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox to which you want the new rule to apply.
  3. Click New Rule.
  4. Under Start from a blank rule, click Check messages when they arrive, and then click Next.
  5. Under Step 1: Select condition(s), select the check box next to each condition that you want the incoming message to match.
  6. Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click the underlined value that corresponds to the condition, and then select or type the necessary information for the condition.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Under Step 1: Select action(s), select the forward it to people or distribution list check box.
  9. Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click people or distribution list.
  10. In one of the address lists, double-click the name or distribution list to which you want to forward the messages, and then click OK.
  11. Click Next twice.
  12. Under Step 1: Specify a name for this rule, type a name.
  13. Click Finish.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Apr 22 2008, 12:04 PM)

Wouldn't that be nice! No, we are not allowed to do email forwarding from work. I have a ".mil" address, if that makes things any clearer...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Apr 22 2008, 01:17 PM)

There are many ways to do what you want without adding yet another feature to the forums. Try opening a gmail account. Use that for the forums. Then you can use it at home. You can then setup your gmail to forward copies of your LAVA mail to your work account with a filter.

Hmm, yes, this *should* work. Thanks!

Sorry, I wasn't really requesting a feature be added to the forum, more like asking if it could already be done. Is there a better place for me to have posted this thread?

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 23 2008, 05:08 AM)

Wouldn't that be nice! No, we are not allowed to do email forwarding from work. I have a ".mil" address, if that makes things any clearer...

I have a .mil address as well, so I feel your pain. I currently use Firefox and its built in RSS reader to check lava. I do have to "poll" it every so often, but having firefox has made it easy to check topics on lava several times during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a gmail account you can have your own personal webpage, http://www.igoogle.com here you can add your own RSS feed stuff to the page.

Or if you have a gmail account, you automatically have a free google reader account http://www.google.com/reader This is a RSS feed reader that runs in a web page using Ajax. I have outlook so I don't need it, but there are times that I am on a school computer that is much more locked down.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ May 2 2008, 01:36 AM)

No your post was fine. We're just having a conversation here.

Good!

The gmail forwarding seems to be working, BTW. Thanks for the suggestion.