Questions on Serial Communications

minority

Hi all,

I have a program that communicates to devices via a serial connection on a Mac machine (using a USB to RS-232 cable).

To select which port to onnect to, I've used the existing "VISA Resource" control that gives a drop-down list of available ports on the device. However, it seems to me that it does not refresh itself even after devices have been plugged or unplugged. The only way I can get a refreshed list is by closing the VI and then reopening it again. Is there a better way to do this?

My second question is, I intend to build an standalone application out of this. However, I've noticed that serial communications that work completely fine when run on LabVIEW cease to work once you build the application and run it. I.e. writing strings to a device works fine when run on LabVIEW but when running the standalone application it stops working (no response). Anyone that might have any ideas on that?

Thanks!

cheers

QUOTE (minority @ Apr 23 2008, 08:51 AM)

... writing strings to a device works fine when run on LabVIEW but when running the standalone application it stops working (no response). Anyone that might have any ideas on that?

One thing that comes to mind, is to check the build specification, so that VISA is included in the build.

Other than that, I think you'd have to post some code for us to look at to get more help.

/J

QUOTE (minority @ Apr 23 2008, 12:51 AM)

To select which port to onnect to, I've used the existing "VISA Resource" control that gives a drop-down list of available ports on the device. However, it seems to me that it does not refresh itself even after devices have been plugged or unplugged. The only way I can get a refreshed list is by closing the VI and then reopening it again. Is there a better way to do this?

You should be able to right click on the control and select "refresh" from there. Other than that, opening up MAX and refreshing devices as your plugging in/unplugging them should do the trick as well.