Tried to install Vista SP-1 over the weekend

PaulG.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Apr 28 2008, 07:11 AM)

:throwpc: Anyone have a better experience than I? Anyone else going back to XP?

I have been running Vista for almost a year at work and I installed SP1 last week with no issues. In fact, it seems to have cleared up a couple of the things that were driving me crazy about Vista (like the time it would take to unzip a small file).

I'm still not sold on Vista and I won't be upgrading at home, but IT is talking about rolling it out company wide sometime in the next few months so I've been working on getting things ready for that move.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Apr 28 2008, 05:01 PM)

I'm still not sold on Vista and I won't be upgrading at home, but IT is talking about rolling it out company wide sometime in the next few months so I've been working on getting things ready for that move.

Our IT is talking about Windows XP and MS office 2003, welcome to my world.

They are also talking about an interactive intranet site.

So they wake up, call Microsoft who offers a package for 50K + installation and support fees.

But to get a decent tablet I have to fake a RSI wrist :thumbdown:

Ton

SP1 installed and rebooted but went into a "black screen" with a DOS-looking/Hex string and hung there. I let it sit there for over an hour but nothing. Tried restarting. Same thing. Power-cycled/restart and same thing. Booted off my CD and tried "repair" and got the same thing. Went to my XP laptop and surfed for solutions. A Windows "TechWeb" or somethingtothateffect offered a solution. Was able to get to Vista but now it's a "clean" install ... and now it won't update - gives me an error. :o I tried uSoft's solution 3x but it didn't work. Vista was smart enough to generate an error report and an attachment form for me to fill out. I filled it out and explained what happened and what I tried. uSoft Tech Support sent me an email this morning with a fix: the SAME SOLUTION from their website that I tried 3x. :angry: Now I have to send them a bunch of data. At least I'm communicating with a real human being.

My data is there - I can see it. It's under "Windows_Old" subdirectory. I have a full and very recent backup offsite (Carbonite) of my C: drive but I'm afraid neither can be used as a "ghost" or "image" backup and I'll have to reinstall all of my applications. I don't have the time for this. If I'm going to spend hours and hours and hours re-installing an operating system AND my applications AND putting everything back where it belongs I'm thinking of going back to XP ... before licensed copies of XP disappear. XP was bumpy at first, but not like this, and XP SP2 has been a rock for me for years.

Don't even THINK of telling me to get a Mac ... I can't afford the snobobotomy. :rolleyes:

/rant

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Apr 28 2008, 09:27 AM)

I think I'd keep that on the down low :ninja: - Good idea though! It's hard to argue with ergonomics nowadays.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Apr 28 2008, 09:59 AM)

Don't even THINK of telling me to get a Mac ... I can't afford the snobobotomy.
:rolleyes:

:thumbup: Well said!

I don't think you can go wrong by going back to XP. Like you said, SP2 has been a very stable OS and I think Microsoft will decide to continue support for it. Even they are starting to admit that Vista is not all it was cracked up to be.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Apr 28 2008, 12:59 PM)

SP1 installed and rebooted but went into a "black screen" with a DOS-looking/Hex string and hung there. I let it sit there for over an hour but nothing. Tried restarting. Same thing. Power-cycled/restart and same thing. Booted off my CD and tried "repair" and got the same thing.

Sounds like it's hosed to me :(

Balmer recently said that the "life" of XP may be extended yet again, "If there is demand."

Dell has also said that they will continue to ship PCs with XP. (It's noteworthy that Dell said they were going to keep shipping it before Balmer said MS would extend it)

Yeah there's a sudden surge on the market for people wanting low power, light ultra portable laptops. Obviously if people are buy up laptops, Microsoft wants to be there to help them choose an operating system. Vista is not suited for any ultra portables that's for sure, so Microsoft is being forced to continue to sell copies of XP until June 30, 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

• 1 month later...

I had no problems with the sp1 install. everything went smooth. i never went to XP at home, and just recently at work. home went from 2000 to vista.

most of the equipment i buy from NI is ordered with 2000 over XP (barbie windows) . How i miss the days of Windows for Workroups 3.11 running on my packard bell.

Just an update: I actually had a real person at uSoft contact me about my problem. We went back and forth via email for over a week. She offered a bunch of suggestions but none of them worked. I backtracked my steps and did some Googling of my symptoms and came up with a few ideas of my own. I ran checkdisk /r. An error was found and corrected. I disabled my anti-virus software and re-ran SP-1 and it went perfectly. That was over a month ago, and my system has been humming along fine since.

"Never mind" :D

QUOTE (TobyD @ Jun 16 2008, 01:26 PM)

Seriously?!? :wacko::throwpc:

SURE! Haven't you noticed, the bigger the OS's get, the bigger the problems!

As a side note, in my days of AOL (before realizing it was just an expensive portal), i preferred AOL v 2.5, i last used aol when 9SE came out and my neighbor

wanted it installed. I recommended to her that 2.5 was probably the best as she was having numerous problems with it.

On the other hand 24.95 a month doesnt sound bad now, considering i pay 89.99 a month for 12Mbps and a static IP !!!!!!!