Hi Folks,

I've been having nightmares with the application builder in 8.5 (and 8.2.1 previously) and was wondering whether anyone knows if theres a way of getting it to write out some kind of progress log so that i can find out why it's failing.

Ta lots,

Netta

QUOTE (gmart @ May 1 2008, 09:26 PM)

My omission... I should have mentioned that my world of pain is under discussion at: http://forums.lavag.org/memory-is-full-No-Listeners-on-the-GPIB-t10706.html&pid=45096&mode=threaded#entry45096' target="_blank">Memory full... (didn't want to bore people by replicating it here)... Doh!

Also, George, unfortunately all I get after the hour-or-so that it takes for the application builder to get to the point where it fails is a window with the following error:

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 7 occurred at Invoke Node in AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Close_Reference.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Engine_Build.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.

=========================

NI-488: Nonexistent GPIB interface.
Method Name: Save:Target Instrument

Since the call chain is inside the application builder code, it's not very helpful. Neither is the fact that it knows that it can't find a file but doesn't bother to tell me which of my 2800-or-so files it is?!

So this was kind of a stab in the dark to see if there was any kind of log written by the app builder so that I could at least se what it was trying to do when it failed.... Is there maybe a flag I can switch on which will write out progress as it goes?

Any help would be very very welcome.

-- Netta

Thank you for the additional information. What I've typically seen regarding error 7 is that there is a library/class/xcontrol that has a link to a missing file. During the build when we try to copy the file, we get the error that the file is missing. Unfortunately, in 8.5, we don't report the file that had the problem (that has been addressed in 8.5.1). I would suggest examining any libraries/classes/xcontrols for missing files. Also, you could try modifying the options in the Additional Exclusions page that deal with libraries.

QUOTE (gmart @ May 1 2008, 10:46 PM)

Thank you for the additional information. What I've typically seen regarding error 7 is that there is a library/class/xcontrol that has a link to a missing file. During the build when we try to copy the file, we get the error that the file is missing. Unfortunately, in 8.5, we don't report the file that had the problem (that has been addressed in 8.5.1). I would suggest examining any libraries/classes/xcontrols for missing files. Also, you could try modifying the options in the Additional Exclusions page that deal with libraries.

Hi gmart,

As far as I know, we don't use any xcontrols in the project. It's a GOOP2-based project so there's loads of llbs which are all explicitly included as support files to be dynamically loaded. In fact what I do to build the project is drop the entire source tree into the project folder and then I have a little tool which post-processes the .lvproj file to remove the .vit files. I've been using this for ages and it works well and helps avoid missing files.

Is it possible that a dependant file outside my source tree may be required which may have been picked up automagically in 8.2.1 but for some reason is not being picked up in 8.5?

The problem is, we have around 2800 files in the project so hunting through this for missing files without any clues of where to look is not a very attractive proposition.

If you say LV 8.5.1 does report errors better in this area, perhaps the thing to do would be to go straight to that rather than transition via 8.5

Whadayathink?

QUOTE (netta @ May 1 2008, 04:59 PM)

If you say LV 8.5.1 does report errors better in this area, perhaps the thing to do would be to go straight to that rather than transition via 8.5

Yes I would do that. LabVIEW 8.5.1 is definitly better in many ways and not worse than 8.5 in anything I have seen so far. I avoided 8.5 for a large part because there had been reported instabilities in various areas and until now 8.5.1 seems to work quite well for me.

Rofl Kalbermatter

If you can make the move to 8.5.1, I would say go ahead. Obviously, you know your situation best and can determine if you can update without impacting your project.

Regarding your dependency question, I would expect that 8.5 would have picked up the dependency better than 8.2.1 did since it does automatic dependency tracking whereas it was manual in 8.2.1.

QUOTE (gmart @ May 1 2008, 02:46 PM)

What I've typically seen regarding error 7 is that there is a library/class/xcontrol that has a link to a missing file.

Just a shot in the dark, but I've seen what gmart is describing (or an error very much like this) when a VI has an invalid link to a help file linked in its documentation. Would a ctl-shift-Run recompile on the top level VIs find/prompt for this kind of thing? Not sure...