Project SaveAs doesn't work for large project

I have a very large project with thousands of VIs. If I open the project and select "Save As" to save a copy in a different location, it appears to complete but no copy is produced.

I have tried with small projects and it works fine.

This is LV8.5 and it shows no errors and gives no indication of failure.

Also, I have searched the C: drive to make sure it hasn't put it somewhere else :(

QUOTE (netta @ May 5 2008, 11:13 PM)

I have a very large project with thousands of VIs. If I open the project and select "Save As" to save a copy in a different location, it appears to complete but no copy is produced.

I have tried with small projects and it works fine.

This is LV8.5 and it shows no errors and gives no indication of failure.

Also, I have searched the C: drive to make sure it hasn't put it somewhere else :(

I was working with 8.20 a while back (A Customer explicitly requested it) and the same happened to me. I put it down to a "less than mature" release, seems like the problem is still there.....

Shane.

QUOTE (crelf @ May 6 2008, 12:23 PM)

Are al of the VIs actually statically listed in the project, or are most of them dependancies? If the former, do they need to be?

Interesting point... There are certainly more than just the dynamic VIs listed statically in the project but the majority are still the dynamically called VIs (ie the GOOP2 classes).

Is there a limit?

Also... if it does need to load them all into memory, does it use virtual memory correcly or would it barf if there's not enough RAM?

QUOTE (netta @ May 6 2008, 08:51 AM)

Interesting point... There are certainly more than just the dynamic VIs listed statically in the project but the majority are still the dynamically called VIs (ie the GOOP2 classes).

Is there a limit?

Also... if it does need to load them all into memory, does it use virtual memory correcly or would it barf if there's not enough RAM?

It uses whatever the OS is able to provide and does not know the difference of physical memory or virtual memory at all since that is managed all by the OS. However there is a default limit of 2GB memory per process for all 32 bit OSes independant of the actual physical memory available. Most OSes can be switched with an option to allow the OS to give an application up to 3GB of memory but for more you do need true 64 bit OS and application support.

Rolf Kalbermatter