Obtaining Reference To Controls Within A Cluster

I recently ran into an issue that I thought I would bring up on the LAVA forums.

When dealing with clusters, I have had situations where I would like to access property nodes on specific controls within the cluster. In the past, I have used the Label.Text to identify the desired control and eventually migrated to a enum typedef representing the "order" of the control. This would allow me to rename the labels without breaking my code and upon re-ordering the cluster, I could just update the typedef which would apply all changes on a global basis.

Are there any other ways of obtaining a strict reference to a control of a cluster that is "absolute" (I don't have to search for the Label.Text in a for loop or use my enum method)? I find it interesting that I can create an implicit reference, yet I cannot obtain a refunum from this property node.

Image:Implicitexplicit.png

Thanks!

Hello,

The easiest way I have found is to right click on the element in the culster and select "Create Property Node". You then get a propery node for the individual control in the cluster.

I have also shown another way of getting the reference to an individual control in a cluster

Hope this helps

Dan

post-8614-1210558553.gif?width=400

QUOTE (jgcode @ May 12 2008, 12:02 AM)

What about trying this?

You can access the element's reference thru the cluster's reference by right clicking

ASTDan, thanks for the reply. I have been currently using the methods you demonstrated (using a enum typedef for the array index). The limitation to this is that if you re-order the controls of the cluster your refnum index is no longer valid.

jgcode, this is exactly what I was looking for! Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper within LabVIEW because there are so many features.

QUOTE (brianafischer @ May 13 2008, 07:56 AM)

jgcode, this is exactly what I was looking for! Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper within LabVIEW because there are so many features.

I know what you mean, I used to do what you did or I would unbundle the cluster then make an indicator from the elements just so I could get a reference!

But it was one of those a-ha! moments when we found it.

I have been playing with VI server and refs a fair bit lately - I am constantly amazed at all the things you can do.

Thats why I love LabVIEW :)