Subversion woes

OK, I followed the instructions posted by Jim (thanks Jim) for a "lone gunman" developer and got my repository started on my local drive, added in my project and then began adding in folders and separate VIs. Mostly it has gone well EXCEPT for the files that seem to reference (well attempt to reference) a prior network repository. I've even removed that reference in repo-browser, tried "Clean Up", tried to SVN Delete the offending files and STILL I get the same error when the commit tries to send it to the networked repository.

How can I correct this?

QUOTE (Val Brown @ May 19 2008, 06:09 AM)

OK, I followed the instructions posted by Jim (thanks Jim) for a "lone gunman" developer and got my repository started on my local drive, added in my project and then began adding in folders and separate VIs. Mostly it has gone well EXCEPT for the files that seem to reference (well attempt to reference) a prior network repository. I've even removed that reference in repo-browser, tried "Clean Up", tried to SVN Delete the offending files and STILL I get the same error when the commit tries to send it to the networked repository.

How can I correct this?

Not sure, but I have the feeling the files are referenced in the hidden .svn folder (explore that).

Have you copied/moved a folder including the .svn folder, this has caused similar issues on my side. Such actions should alway be done carefully.

To deal with it I make a backup of my local working folder (without .svn folder), delete it and do a check out from the repository.

Than I do a diff with Totalcommander (ignoring the .svn folders) and update the local working folder carefully and do a checkin.

Ton

QUOTE (tcplomp @ May 18 2008, 08:34 PM)

The folders were clean -- ie the .svn folder in them were all removed. I use TC as well for things like this.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

QUOTE (Val Brown @ May 18 2008, 08:45 PM)

The folders were clean -- ie the .svn folder in them were all removed. I use TC as well for things like this.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

No this makes no difference. I'm really tired of trying to get this setup and to keep having this kind of problem occur. It may be that SVN works well for a lot of other people but it really has been disappointing for me.

It seems to me like the only option I have to uninstall SVN, brute force delete ALL of .svn folders that have been created during this process and then start all over again.

QUOTE (Val Brown @ May 19 2008, 06:50 AM)

It seems to me like the only option I have to uninstall SVN, brute force delete ALL of .svn folders that have been created during this process and then start all over again.

I guess the problem is that you have added folders to repository that already were part of other repository. A single file can only belong to one repository.

What I sugges you do is

1) Go to your local folder where your files under souce code control reside

2) From TortoiseSVN right click menu select export to get a clean copy of your code

3) Create a new local repository (or remove all the files from the old repository)

4) Add your exported code to the new repository

5) Subscribe to this new repository

QUOTE (Tomi Maila @ May 18 2008, 10:05 PM)

I guess the problem is that you have added folders to repository that already were part of other repository. A single file can only belong to one repository.

What I sugges you do is

1) Go to your local folder where your files under souce code control reside

2) From TortoiseSVN right click menu select export to get a clean copy of your code

3) Create a new local repository (or remove all the files from the old repository)

4) Add your exported code to the new repository

5) Subscribe to this new repository

I'm actually starting "fresh" (nothing of mine under SCC) but apparently there were still some legacy .svn folders in one portion of the code. That dates from my use of a consultant who used SVN. I thought I had cleared out ALL of the prior .svn folders (so no more repository references) but I apparently missed a couple in the process.

QUOTE (Val Brown @ May 18 2008, 11:09 PM)

OK, I followed the instructions posted by Jim (thanks Jim) for a "lone gunman" developer and got my repository started on my local drive, added in my project and then began adding in folders and separate VIs.

I am interested in reading the thread you mentioned. I can't seem to find the thread with search. Can someone please post a link to it?

Thanks

Jason