I am trying to find the best method to license custom software written in LV [not a hardware key -dongle - method, just software].

Following on from this thread, which is a little old, I was wondering if anybody has any new methods they can share (without them feeling like they are giving away their gameplan).

I was hoping the VIPM team might be able to chip in as they have a nice license setup.

Is everything done over the web with a authentication license server nowdays for easy management?

Regards

JG

QUOTE (jgcode @ May 20 2008, 09:15 AM)

I am trying to find the best method to license custom software written in LV [not a hardware key -dongle - method, just software].

Following on from this thread, which is a little old, I was wondering if anybody has any new methods they can share (without them feeling like they are giving away their gameplan).

I was hoping the VIPM team might be able to chip in as they have a nice license setup.

Is everything done over the web with a authentication license server nowdays for easy management?

Regards

JG

Hi JG,

It's important to keep in mind that "licensing" software (what people agree to do) and "enforcing/managing licensing" (a.k.a. "activation" or what you try to make people do) are two seperate beasts.

I can't go into how VIPM works, beyond what's in the documentation. What I can recommend is that, when you feel you are ready for a software activation system, you look for an off-the-shelf solution or keep your system as simple as possible.

Remember, most of the time you should only be trying create a system that lets honest people easily/painlessly comply with your licensing terms. Most of the time, your energy is better spent on (1) creating a great software product that people will want to use and tell others about and (2) making it very easy for people to give you money. Only after you solve those two challenges, is there much value in trying to enforce licensing terms.

Cheers,

-Jim

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ May 20 2008, 01:55 PM)

...when you feel you are ready for a software activation system, you look for an off-the-shelf solution...

:question: I wonder how difficult (possible) it would be to include products in the NI License Manager. I know that some of the products we distribute are LabVIEW addons, so we could assume that the NI License Manager is installed, but I wonder if it even supports products external to NI...

QUOTE (crelf @ May 20 2008, 11:42 AM)

:question: I wonder how difficult (possible) it would be to include products in the NI License Manager. I know that some of the products we distribute are LabVIEW addons, so we could assume that the NI License Manager is installed, but I wonder if it even supports products external to NI...

I doubt it.

Before this thread is highjacked by great sayings.... :)

Thanks Jim, I thought as much that spilling the beans would be a problem on people discussing such a issue who have implemented it as a custom solution.

As a young'n I created a psuedo setup whereby I could statically (in code) link a user(s) to the application and I also have a time expiry whereby it blocks out a user. Of course they can wind the OS clock back but I covered that by creating a file (hidden somewhere) on the first time out to know if this occurs. Of course if they did a fresh install with and set the clock back it would work. If they could be bothered I thought good on them.

At the end of the day it was cheap and nasty. But it worked for what I needed (small volume), I did it ages ago and I still use it now and then.

Now I am hunting for something a little more professional.

QUOTE (crelf @ May 20 2008, 02:42 PM)

Let's put it like this: The FlexLM core in LabVIEW and other NI products is an extensible system. However the way it is build into LabVIEW it assumes a specific secret key to sign licenses. So in order to generate your own licenses you would need to know that key and NI certainly will not publish it since it is secret. And even if you knew it, use of it would likely be against one or more laws to protect copyright such as the DMCA and probably some others.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ May 22 2008, 05:11 AM)

However the way it is build into LabVIEW it assumes a specific secret key to sign licenses. So in order to generate your own licenses you would need to know that key and NI certainly will not publish it since it is secret.

So it's wings have been clipped to work with only one key to assign licenses? That's a shame.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ May 21 2008, 01:55 AM)

I can't go into how http://jkisoft.com/vipm' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">VIPM works, beyond what's in the documentation. What I can recommend is that, when you feel you are ready for a software activation system, you look for an off-the-shelf solution or keep your system as simple as possible.

Can Jim or anyone recommend such a system from first hand use?

Cheers

QUOTE (crelf @ May 22 2008, 07:38 AM)

So it's wings have been clipped to work with only one key to assign licenses? That's a shame.

Well there might be all kinds of ramifications. For instance NI acquired a source code license to FlexLM for certain OSes (most probably Windows only) and certain uses (most probably allowing to protect their software with it but not allowing them to create a licensing Toolkit for use by people outside of NI). Macrovision (seems they are now Acresso) has been a well known company in copy protection business and I'm sure they employ quite capable lawayers too, so if I was NI I wouldn't try to go beyond what the acquired license allows, which I believe has certainly its price even with a non royality free, non free to use for everything license :rolleyes: .

Rolf Kalbermatter

OK, I think we can consider this thread hijacked now :D

QUOTE (rolfk @ May 22 2008, 10:17 AM)

...so if I was NI I wouldn't try to go beyond what the acquired license allows, which I believe has certainly its price even with a non royality free, non free to use for everything license

Ahhhhhh - I see. So it theoretically might be possible, but one would need to get their own license from Acresso...

JG, ByteShield’s Dynamic License and Copy Protection Engine might be the answer. ByteShield™ was designed with the goal to combine strong protection with user friendliness for both the publisher as well as the end-user and at the same time offer new licensing options:

• Friendly to the Publisher: protection added on final product via a series of wizards - takes 15 minutes or less
  • Friendly to paying end-users: no limit on installations; the application is easy to move and the protection completely transparent; backup is easy. All the things users regularly complain about are typically not a problem with ByteShield
  • One of the strongest protections available (DoD tested) - Cracker can't fool a server he can't hack and he can't disconnect a server he must connect to
  • Every attempted copying beyond the license can be turned into a sales opportunity. With ByteShield, you can do full feature trial, you can rent or rent-to-buy or you can offer a subscription

In summary ByteShield’s system design enables the product to be transparent to the end user and so time consuming to crack that the incentives for the crackers disappear. Everything is intertwined and interdependent. The result is a truly unique and superior patent pending technology, which dramatically increases your revenues and protects your IP. ByteShield currently protect windows and .net applications. Please check out our website at http://www.byteshield.net or contact us at info "at" byteshield "dot" net.

Thanks,

Christian

ByteShield, Inc.

www.byteshield.net

QUOTE (jgcode @ May 20 2008, 08:15 AM)

Following on from this http://forums.lavag.org/Help-with-software-protection-t1126.html&hl=license' target="_blank">thread, which is a little old, I was wondering if anybody has any new methods they can share (without them feeling like they are giving away their gameplan).

Regards

JG