Pick your niweek 2008 badge icon... NOT!

Ok, so NI is always trying to be hip and cool (but of course we all know only LAVA members can claim that). This year NI is allowing you to select 3 badge avatars. It sounds cool until you find out that the selection options are pretty lame... and you can't add your own? I think we need to petition to allow adding our own avatar. Well, in any case, if the space is there, I will use it by sticking something on there of my own.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ May 21 2008, 01:55 PM)

It sounds cool until you find out that the selection options are pretty lame... and you can't add your own?

Even if we can't upload our own avatar, I'd like to see a LAVA avatar there at least...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ May 21 2008, 01:55 PM)

Ok, so NI is always trying to be hip and cool (but of course we all know only LAVA members can claim that)....

Looking closely I have to say that is rather sad.

1) They have not even spelled LabVIEW correctly.

2) I have heard of Certified LabVIEW Architects but what is a Labview Certified Architect (hoping I do not have to take another test)?

Ben

PS: Most of the time I have absolutely no idea how a word should be spelled but LabVIEW (and my last name) are are examples where I care.

At the risk of seeming petulant and obtuse, those images are really lame.

I really think we should make our own badge icons. Here's a blank:

post-2992-1211400249.jpg?width=400

Does anybody have the contacts inside NI to figure out exactly how big the images will be on the badges?

The images themselves (according to GIMP) are 207x179 at 300ppi resolution, so if they print them exactly that way they'll be about 0.7" x 0.6".

QUOTE (neB @ May 21 2008, 01:35 PM)

2) I have heard of Certified LabVIEW Architects but what is a Labview Certified Architect (hoping I do not have to take another test)?
No need for a test. This is when LabVIEW, the sentient AI that sits behind all diagrams, decides that you're qualified to do civil engineering projects. LabVIEW *does* the certification. :-)

And, for the record, if you don't like the badge options, there's always duct tape and construction paper. Of course, that sort of defeats the whole purpose, finding those who picked similar icons who might have similar interests. If the icon set is open ended, there's really no point to the whole thing.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 21 2008, 06:13 PM)

And, for the record, if you don't like the badge options, there's always duct tape and construction paper. Of course, that sort of defeats the whole purpose, finding those who picked similar icons who might have similar interests. If the icon set is open ended, there's really no point to the whole thing.

I'd rather be unique and creative with my lovely origami/duct tape badge critter than pick one of the existing icons. But I always have enjoyed dancing to the beat of my own drum.

The Creator And Patron Saint Of LabVIEW?

post-2992-1211412745.png?width=400

post-2992-1211412750.png?width=400

QUOTE (eaolson @ May 21 2008, 03:44 PM)

I was working on this one before I came back here and saw your reply: :P

post-2992-1211413096.png?width=400

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 21 2008, 03:13 PM)

Of course, that sort of defeats the whole purpose, finding those who picked similar icons who might have similar interests. If the icon set is open ended, there's really no point to the whole thing.

I kind of question the whole premise. I can actually see it for things like PXI, CVI, LabVIEW, LVOOP, LAVA, and OpenG. But Beer? Or Dog Lover? If the point is to "enhance your networking experience at NIWeek" I really question the level of enhancement that's going to come from saying (to a complete stranger), "Oh! I see you like beer! You may have noticed that I do, as well!" (Google? Google?! I mean, seriously.)

Frankly, other than the sort of broad few I just mentioned, I would rather see people with unique badge icons, so that when I'm standing there talking to them on the show floor or during Free Beer Hour or between sessions, I can say, "So why do you have a haystack on your badge?" and they'll say, "Because my grandfather patented the first automated baling machine." I dunno. Maybe I approach networking a little differently than NI thinks I should :P.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 22 2008, 12:13 AM)

Of course, that sort of defeats the whole purpose, finding those who picked similar icons who might have similar interests. If the icon set is open ended, there's really no point to the whole thing.

In wonder what is night club life in Austin like... "Isn't she good looking. A pity she has a purple dress. I guess we would have nothing in common anyway, I wear only blue and black."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone in NI's marketing dept has made me a custom badge icon.

post-17-1213910869.jpg?width=400

Actually, I just ripped this from the Conference Highlights brochure that NI mailed out this week:

post-17-1213911094.jpg?width=400

PS - Is that a VIPM awareness bracelet on Justin's (?) arm and half of Michael's head?

post-17-1213911346.jpg?width=400

• 1 month later...