Another reason that Dean Kamen rocks: prosthetic robot arm

That's incredible. I wonder how long it takes before these allow better control than the existing limbs.

There are already experiments with exo-skeletons which allow soldiers to carry great weights and I seem to remember that professional runners are already complaining that runners with artificial legs have a fair advantage.

Before long, we might be seeing basketball players or weight lifters complain about these guys.

"... titanium, magnesium, 'unobtainium' ..." That's some pretty exotic stuff. :) And proof-postive that some of the most innovative and earth-changing technologies come from American DOD-funded programs ... and not all of it is to kill or maim or break things. I'm just thankful we are finally spending some money on taking better care of our soldiers. HOOOAH!

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Jun 3 2008, 04:48 PM)

...proof-postive that some of the most innovative and earth-changing technologies come from American DOD-funded programs ... and not all of it is to kill or maim or break things.

Yeah - it's amazing what you can do when a pressure like a budget is removed as a limitation to innovation. It's a pity that the motivation came from war-mamed guys/gals in the first place.

• 1 month later...