sending file to email with SMTP

Hi, i am new to LabView and need to send a file to an email, I tryed using the SMTP Email Send File.vi , but I get this error

Error 16502 occurred at 502 5.5.1 Unrecognized command. f21sm7832549rvb.0

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x4076) 502 Command not implemented.

, don't know why. Can someone help please.

LabView version i'm using is 8

:headbang:

oh yeah

mail server: smtp.gmail.com

recipients: my_mail@gmail.com

file path: actualy I have to send a report generated in labView

now I get this error:

Error 56 occurred at TCP Open Connection in NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Open Session.vi:2->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File Charset.vi:1->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File.vi->mysend.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The network operation exceeded the user-specified or system time limit.

thanks for your attention.

QUOTE (jebus @ Jun 3 2008, 09:58 PM)

this is the information

mail server: smtp.gmail.com

recipients: my_mail@gmail.com

file path: actualy I have to send a report generated in labView

thanks really appreciate your help.

sometimes I get this error:

Error 56 occurred at TCP Open Connection in NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Open Session.vi:2->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File Charset.vi:1->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File.vi->mysend.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The network operation exceeded the user-specified or system time limit.

The SMTP email VIS do not implement authentification. As far as I know you can't use gmail (and just about any other email provider accessible over public internet) without authentification.

You could however use your ISPs SMTP server instead (if you are on a broadband connection) or your companies email server (if you are on a company internal network). Those servers usually allow unauthentificated SMTP access since you access them from the internal network and therefore should be considered trustable.

Rolf Kalbermatter

hello rolfk,

thanks for your help,i tried using my isp smtp but it didn't work, so i downloaded an example from OpenG

called OGIC_SMTP, and i get this under server response:

when using smtp.gmail.com

SERVER: 220 mx.google.com ESMTP k41sm3958055rvb.3

CLIENT: HELO localhost

SERVER: 250 mx.google.com at your service

CLIENT: MAIL FROM:<>

SERVER: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. k41sm3958055rvb.3

CLIENT: RCPT TO:<armesa2@gmail.com>

CLIENT: DATA

CLIENT: QUIT

SERVER: 502 5.5.1 Unrecognized command. k41sm3958055rvb.3

when using cablered.com.mx, my isp

SERVER: 220-qwerty.transit-it.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 #1 Thu, 05 Jun 2008 03:00:06 -0500

SERVER: 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,

SERVER: 220 and/or bulk e-mail.

SERVER: 250 qwerty.transit-it.com Hello 201.160.178.253.cable.dyn.cableonline.com.mx [201.160.178.253]

SERVER: 250 OK

SERVER: 550-"JunkMail rejected - 201.160.178.253.cable.dyn.cableonline.com.mx

QUOTE (jebus @ Jun 5 2008, 03:26 AM)

hello rolfk,

thanks for your help,i tried using my isp smtp but it didn't work, so i downloaded an example from OpenG

called OGIC_SMTP, and i get this under server response:

when using cablered.com.mx, my isp

SERVER: 220-qwerty.transit-it.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 #1 Thu, 05 Jun 2008 03:00:06 -0500

SERVER: 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,

SERVER: 220 and/or bulk e-mail.

SERVER: 250 qwerty.transit-it.com Hello 201.160.178.253.cable.dyn.cableonline.com.mx [201.160.178.253]

SERVER: 250 OK

SERVER: 550-"JunkMail rejected - 201.160.178.253.cable.dyn.cableonline.com.mx

Jim answered about gmail. That about your ISP I'm not sure. For some reasons the server considers your attempt to send data as Junk Mail. Why that would be I have no idea. Technically there seems no reason to believe that the communication did not proceed right. Maybe that you should use a FROM: address in your attempt??? Maybe cableonline requires a specific procedure???

I'm afraid you will have to ask there about this, as painful it might be to get a support person from an ISP that even understands what you are talking about.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 2 weeks later...

HOW I DID IT:

• I installed an SMTP server in my computer called QK SMTP Server.
  • Then I used one of the VI's from Labview to send mail, with server name as 127.0.0.1.
  • In the recipient I had to use an email account from budweiser, mybudweiser.com, wich was the one that didn't rejected my emails as SPAM, thank you budweiser :thumbup: , other emails you can use are from freemail.lt

To everybody who tried to help me, thank you, respect. :worship: .

QUOTE (jebus @ Jun 18 2008, 11:54 PM)

HOW I DID IT:

• I installed an SMTP server in my computer called QK SMTP Server.
  • Then I used one of the VI's from Labview to send mail, with server name as 127.0.0.1.
  • In the recipient I had to use an email account from budweiser, mybudweiser.com, wich was the one that didn't rejected my emails as SPAM, thank you budweiser :thumbup: , other emails you can use are from freemail.lt

To everybody who tried to help me, thank you, respect. :worship: .

And now with everybody knowing that this server is an open proxy it will either be changed to require login soon or it will end up on every single blacklist on this planet, resulting in you not being able to send your LabVIEW mail to many recipients, since they will often use those blacklists to filter out incoming mail for spam. I know our servers are configured to filter out mail originating from IP adresses on those blacklists.

Much easier and better would have been to point your local email server to proxy for you to your ISP. Your email server should certainly be able to use proper authentification to contact your ISP SMTP server so that you have a hopefully firewalled to the internet, open SMTP server on your local network that will allow your LabVIEW program to contact it without authentification and will take care of the authentification towards the ISP instead.

Rolf Kalbermatter