Article - Customizing the LabVIEW Palettes is (Ridiculously) Hard

<rant of my own> Thanks again, Jime for speaking up for a lot of us. The palette structures and disease-of-use to customize them are one of the few (if any) issues I would consider user-hostile in the entire LV enviroment. And to add to our frustration, every time NI comes up with a new version it creates a brand new default palette always loaded with nothing but express vi's (???) and other useless garbage. Then you have to go through the headache to cusomize them all over again. :angry: </rant of my own>

I really dislike the palettes too...especially since everything was rearranged in 8.0. If only someone could do something about them! I mean, if somebody with my distaste for the palettes happened to work in LabVIEW R&D, then he could add a feature in the next LabVIEW release that allowed me to write VIs faster than ever before, without having to ever bring up the palettes again. Man, that would be so great! Oh well, maybe someday. Someday...

-D

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Jun 17 2008, 11:24 AM)

So true.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 17 2008, 11:41 AM)

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Jun 17 2008, 02:24 PM)

:D

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to have to add that to my collection.

QUOTE (Darren @ Jun 17 2008, 12:27 PM)

I really dislike the palettes too...especially since everything was rearranged in 8.0. If only someone could do something about them! I mean, if somebody with my distaste for the palettes happened to work in LabVIEW R&D, then he could add a feature in the next LabVIEW release that allowed me to write VIs faster than ever before, without having to ever bring up the palettes again. Man, that would be so great! Oh well, maybe someday. Someday...

Yes, I think that a hypothetical tool that obviates the need for palettes in many situations would be a huge useability step forward :)

What I want is for LabVIEW to know which function I'm thinking about and to put it on my tooltip so that I can drop it. Is that what you're thinking of, too? :shifty:

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Jun 17 2008, 01:57 PM)

Could we use that as a refactoring tool to create reusable VIs? It could analyze the patterns in your code and identify frequently used snippits that should be made into subVIs.

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jun 17 2008, 04:25 PM)
Could we use that as a refactoring tool to create reusable VIs? It could analyze the patterns in your code and identify frequently used snippits that should be made into subVIs.
Careful what you ask for, guys. LabVIEW 20.4 will be sentient and after your jobs. :-)