image capture using NI IMAQ IEEE 1394

Hello,

I would like to use NI IMAQ IEEE 1394 to read the image captured using a Basler camera (A601F-2). Since I am quite new to LabView and NI IMAQ toolkit, I am trying to get a clear understand of how LabView, NI IMAQ, and the camera works together as an application.

I am using LabView version 8.5 and have installed 'NI-IMAQ 3.5.1' and 'IMAQ for IEEE1394'on my PC (Windows XP). My question is as followed:

Is there a tool or wizard to create, edit or run tasks using the NI-IMAQ (such as the 'DAQ assistant' does for Data Acquisition)? Using DAQ assistant, the interface between LabView and the NI DAQ can be build. But I am not sure how to connect LabView and the NI-IMAQ. Can anyone describe this for me?

My assignment is to create a VI to capture image from a Basler camera (IEEE1394), calculate the intensity of each point, find the average intensity, and write the intensity output of each pixel in the form of a matrix to a file. Is there an example VI that does something close to this out there that I can use as my starting point?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yours,

limhj

QUOTE (limhj @ Jun 18 2008, 02:47 PM)

Hello,

I would like to use NI IMAQ IEEE 1394 to read the image captured using a Basler camera (A601F-2). Since I am quite new to LabView and NI IMAQ toolkit, I am trying to get a clear understand of how LabView, NI IMAQ, and the camera works together as an application.

I am using LabView version 8.5 and have installed 'NI-IMAQ 3.5.1' and 'IMAQ for IEEE1394'on my PC (Windows XP). My question is as followed:

Is there a tool or wizard to create, edit or run tasks using the NI-IMAQ (such as the 'DAQ assistant' does for Data Acquisition)? Using DAQ assistant, the interface between LabView and the NI DAQ can be build. But I am not sure how to connect LabView and the NI-IMAQ. Can anyone describe this for me?

My assignment is to create a VI to capture image from a Basler camera (IEEE1394), calculate the intensity of each point, find the average intensity, and write the intensity output of each pixel in the form of a matrix to a file. Is there an example VI that does something close to this out there that I can use as my starting point?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yours,

limhj

Hi limhj,

First, if you are new to LabVIEW, I suggest you have a look at the LabVIEW examples, Help >> Find Example >> go to search tab, dial "IMAQ".

Then, I never use it but I know it works well, you can use the "IMAQ express VI" (I have the express VIs disabled on my LabVIEW so I don't even know where it is located).

To get the intensity of the pixel, you functions in the IMAQ subpalette and maybe also examples in LabVIEW.

Try to do the most you can from the examples and then if you get blocked at some point post your problem + your code.

Hope this helps

QUOTE (Antoine @ Jun 18 2008, 03:30 PM)

Hi limhj,

First, if you are new to LabVIEW, I suggest you have a look at the LabVIEW examples, Help >> Find Example >> go to search tab, dial "IMAQ".

Then, I never use it but I know it works well, you can use the "IMAQ express VI" (I have the express VIs disabled on my LabVIEW so I don't even know where it is located).

To get the intensity of the pixel, you functions in the IMAQ subpalette and maybe also examples in LabVIEW.

Try to do the most you can from the examples and then if you get blocked at some point post your problem + your code.

Hope this helps

Hello Antoine,

Thanks for the tips. I could not find any examples from the help search using 'imaq' as keyword. Maybe I have not installed them.

QUOTE (limhj @ Jun 18 2008, 04:26 PM)

Hello Antoine,

Thanks for the tips. I could not find any examples from the help search using 'imaq' as keyword. Maybe I have not installed them.

I'm not sure you can uncheck the examples when you install... Anyway, if you did it was a mistake, if you have the CD then install them their worth, specially if you begin with LabVIEW ;) .

Hmmm... Maybe IMAQ is not a good search word, try with "1394", if it doesn't work, you're sure that the IMAQ examples are not installed.

Look for examples using "Snap" or "Grab". these are simple examples illustrating how to get an image from a firewire camera.

Look for examples with "vision" to show how to process images.

Examples are under Help>Find Examples (I think, not at a LV terminal right now), and then type in the keywords in the example finder..

Neville

QUOTE (Neville D @ Jun 19 2008, 12:20 AM)

Look for examples using "Snap" or "Grab". these are simple examples illustrating how to get an image from a firewire camera.

Look for examples with "vision" to show how to process images.

Examples are under Help>Find Examples (I think, not at a LV terminal right now), and then type in the keywords in the example finder..

Neville

Thanks for the information.

I wonder if I am using the right (or sufficient) toolkit for my purpose.

There is no Vision Express VI (as pointed out by James) in my environment. I think this Express VI is only available with Visuion Development Module whereas I only have the "NI Vision Acquisition Version 8.0" (includes NI-IMAQ3.5.1, NI-IMAQ For IEEE1394, NI-IMAQ I/O, NI MAX 4.0) installed.

Also the examples pointed out by Neville are not available through the LabView >> Help. However, I did find snap.vi and grab.vi examples by going directly to the labview directory in ...\LabView 8.5\examples\IMAQ\IMAQ1394 examples.llb.