Initialize 2D array

QUOTE (Aitor Solar @ Jul 10 2008, 07:39 AM)

I find surprising that the Initialize Array function doesn't allow for an array input.

So you're trying to initialize a 2D array where each row is [0,1,2] - the change you're proposing would require the ability to select between rows and columns.

I don't find it surprising that functionality doesn't exist, as I've never seen a usecase for it. That said, if you do have one, let NI know as a feature request.

Sorry to go off topic (didn't feel that this deserved a seperate thread), but last week I realized that there is something missing from the basic I/O primatives. Why is there no GPIB query? It seems that this function should be available in a primative rather than having to be built up from a seperate read and write. I only have 6.0, 7.1, and 8.0 so maybe it has been added in a later version.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Jul 10 2008, 10:01 PM)

Here's another way you could do it that would be more efficient.

OK, so now I gotta ask, did you place the array outside the loop on purpose? The only difference I can see between the two methods is that the array is folded before the loop, but since the entire loop is folded, I assume that means that the array inside the loop is folded as well and therefore having the array outside the loop should not have any advantage.

Well, the [0,1,2] array was just an example, obviously consecutive arrays can be generated easier but I was referring to any kind of array. Say you have a boolean array defining different properties of an object. You would like to generate n copies of the default configuration array for n objects in your application and treat them as a 2D array for easy comparison.

Sure this woundn't be a essential modification, since is the first time I have encountered this problem in all these years, but still it would be useful in some cases.

Saludos,

Aitor

BTW, when testing if the initialize array function admits a cluster with an array inside (it does) I have discovered that if you take a waveform constant and try to duplicate the cluster elements inside the cluster, LV crashes. Funny.

I do this kind of thing fairly often, so here are the VIs I've created for the purpose. I'm sitting at a Labview-less computer right now, so I can't check to see if these call any of my other VIs, but I don't think they do. Labview 8.5.1

QUOTE (Yair @ Jul 11 2008, 04:52 AM)
OK, so now I gotta ask, did you place the array outside the loop on purpose?
Nope. In this case, inside or outside the loop would be the same. I was just posting the diagram where I had generated both to prove to myself that they really did output the same thing.