External Library Method

Hi to all

I'm playing with the Windows Shell, and i have a function to convert Path Names to PIDLs, in C++, so I'm traslating it to LabVIEW, using Call Library Function Node. The problem is that one of the lines of the function says:

hr = pShellFolder -> ParseDisplayName(NULL, NULL, wsPath, &nCharsParsed, ppidl,NULL);

How can i call this method?

And another question, Where can i find info about convert C++ code to LV code? (I mean, like datatypes, help about Call library Function Node, etc)

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (JCFC @ Jul 17 2008, 08:14 PM)

Hi to all

I'm playing with the Windows Shell, and i have a function to convert Path Names to PIDLs, in C++, so I'm traslating it to LabVIEW, using Call Library Function Node. The problem is that one of the lines of the function says:

hr = pShellFolder -> ParseDisplayName(NULL, NULL, wsPath, &nCharsParsed, ppidl,NULL);

How can i call this method?

And another question, Where can i find info about convert C++ code to LV code? (I mean, like datatypes, help about Call library Function Node, etc)

Thanks in advance.

You can't with the Call Library Node directly! This is C++ with function pointer virtual tables and simply can't be implemented with the Call Library Node unless you want to write lots and lots of nitty gritty code on the LabVIEW diagram which takes care of things a C++ compiler does for you without you having to worry about anything.

This is something were a wrapper DLL would be required which wraps the access to the virtual table function pointer into a normal C function and exports that one.

However in this particular case there are several exported Shell32 APIs that deal with PIDLs and are in fact already this kind of wrapper you want here. So researching MSDN to see what kind of functionality shell32 contains will certainly give you an exported API that does more or less exactly what you want to do here.

Rolf Kalbermatter