Multiple instances of build EXE

QUOTE (Omar Mussa @ Jul 18 2008, 02:49 PM)

Is it possible to launch multiple instances of an EXE built by LabVIEW App Builder?

I do it to test my tcpip communications, so I'd say yes. The same EXE copied in two separate directories can be launched at the same time and run separately as long as they are not using the same port or other potentially shared resource.

QUOTE (normandinf @ Jul 18 2008, 12:00 PM)

I do it to test my tcpip communications, so I'd say yes. The same EXE copied in two separate directories can be launched at the same time and run separately as long as they are not using the same port or other potentially shared resource.

Excellent method, and it works. I also realized I could just copy my EXE and rename it and it was good enough for me in this case and it allowed me to run in same folder.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jul 18 2008, 12:17 PM)

or use the "allowmultipleinstances=True" key in the ini file (the last option looks to be the best one, but I've never gotten it to work in a built exe)

Might be in an older version of LabVIEW? I have it working all the time with some of my exe's in LV8.* onwards.

Neville.

QUOTE (crelf @ Jul 18 2008, 12:17 PM)

I saw that page and somehow missed this:

[MyApp]

allowmultipleinstances = TRUE

I knew that worked for LabVIEW.ini but I forgot that it could be used in 'MyApp.ini'... :P

I'll try that later and see if it works for me.

QUOTE (Omar Mussa @ Jul 18 2008, 03:57 PM)

Yeah - it's easy to miss due to the title of the page.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Jul 18 2008, 03:37 PM)

Might be in an older version of LabVIEW? I have it working all the time with some of my exe's in LV8.* onwards.

Thanks for pointing that out - I just tried it again and it works great :thumbup:

If you put Allowmultipleinstances=true in your built exe's ini file IT WILL WORK

if you look at the soft front panels that NI makes for things like their DMMs, they use that exact same ini so that we can have multiple dmm panels open at a time.

So since NI does it why shouldn't we.

It's much more elegant than making copies of EXEs

QUOTE (Norm Kirchner @ Jul 18 2008, 10:57 PM)

If you put Allowmultipleinstances=true in your built exe's ini file IT WILL WORK

if you look at the soft front panels that NI makes for things like their DMMs, they use that exact same ini so that we can have multiple dmm panels open at a time.

So since NI does it why shouldn't we.

It's much more elegant than making copies of EXEs

Thanks! had exactly this problem for some users who run identical instruments on same computer, just with different GPIB address.