LabVIEW 8.6 Released

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 12 2008, 10:56 AM)

Starting with LabVIEW 8.6 and moving forward, a LabVIEW/toolkits install will no longer affect the installs of previous toolkits. So yes, your older toolkits are safe when installing LabVIEW 8.6.

-D

Wow!

Does that include drivers, DSC etc?

If this is true, I may be able to get by with only 4 PC and could switch from version to version with out having to boot into a new partion.

Hopeful,

Ben

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (neB @ Aug 12 2008, 10:13 AM)

Does that include drivers, DSC etc?

I'm not as familiar with the installers for drivers and modules, but I can almost guarantee that with drivers, the new install will uninstall old stuff just like it always did. I'm not sure about modules. But you should be good with toolkits (VI Analyzer, Report Gen, Internet, Database, etc.)

If I had to guess, I'd say modules are probably good, because I think every installer on the LabVIEW Platform DVD will now adhere to the "install only to the current LabVIEW version and don't mess with other stuff" rule that the toolkit installers now abide by. I'll make sure the right NI people see this post so they can correct me if I'm wrong.

-D

Ok, I got a response on the truthiness of what I said:

"That is basically true. Some toolkits (SIT, for example) have some shared components that install outside of the LabVIEW folder that might be upgraded and affected. But in general Toolkits and Modules on the DVD only install to 8.6 and won't affect old versions or newer versions. Not all modules and toolkits are on the DVD though, so your mileage may vary for those. As for drivers, the ones on the August 2008 Driver DVD support LabVIEW 7.1.x, 8.2.x, 8.5.x and 8.6."

-D

Definitely a couple cool things in here.

No doubt in my mind - that cleanup diagram is the runaway winner! I wish it would condense the wasted space in case statements though, and a "fix all vis" function would be fine for me (although I suspect someone will dummy up a tool to do that soon enough). I also had one of my large VIs choke on it, for no apparent reason. This particular VI needed nearly 4GB of memory to clean up. Oddly, other VIs of comparable size and complexity cleaned up in a matter of seconds. Go figure???

Gotta love that "wire through" feature too, easily one of the worst things in labview in my mind. Having to wire every freakin local variable through a case structure was the worst.

The "cool but not necessarily something I'll ever use" awards go to the html feature that allows non-labview clientside interaction and possibly that wireless feature.

Anyway, seems like everything upgraded ok and I cleaned up most of my legacy diagrams. Enough to make me want to renew my SSP.

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2008, 10:55 AM)

On my 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM machine, here are my times. This is LabVIEW 8.6, pretty much every module and add-on installed (and the default drivers too) from the LabVIEW 8.6 Platform DVD:

Load Palettes in Background:

LabVIEW launch time - 8 sec

Initial Quick Drop launch time - 4 sec

Load Palettes on Launch:

LabVIEW launch time - 12 sec

Initial Quick Drop launch time - 0 sec

I am on a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo running Vista (7200 RPM Laptop HDD). Here's what I am seeing.

Load Palettes in Background:

LabVIEW launch time - 26 sec (first) - 8 sec (second)

Initial Quick Drop launch time - 36 sec (first) - 13 sec (second)

Load Palettes on Launch:

LabVIEW launch time - 64 sec

Initial Quick Drop launch time - 0 sec

When Load Palettes on Launch is selected LabVIEW consistently takes over one minute to get to a usable Getting Started window so I went back to Load Palettes in Background. The long wait time is a little annoying.

• 4 months later...

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 9 2008, 12:59 PM)

Old dog here too (LabVIEW 3) - but I can't live without the autotool now. Originally, I hated it, but a talented colleague whom I respect very much suggested I learn some choice keyboard shortcuts and just persevere with the pain for two weeks, and, sure enough, now it's second nature.

Blush.

I stumbled across this thread when trying to solve another annoyance similar to the NIScanEngine problem outlined above. Long live the autotool !!! Every now and then I still try to convince another LV programmer at my work to use it...

I'll might start another thread once I get a solution to my annoyance from NI. (short problem description: When building an app in LV 8.6, <vilib>:NIScanEngine\nilvce.dll is not found. The app still builds OK though)

cheers

Peter

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 12 2008, 09:56 AM)

Starting with LabVIEW 8.6 and moving forward, a LabVIEW/toolkits install will no longer affect the installs of previous toolkits. So yes, your older toolkits are safe when installing LabVIEW 8.6.

-D

Actually that is not correct. I happened to have an older application developed in LabVIEW 7.1 and Vision 7.1. After installing LabVIEW and Vision 8.6 I recently made a minor bugfix to the application in 7.1 and sent out the executable to the client. It wouldn't work anymore since the executable was complaining about various Vision VIs not being loadable. Investigating in an older install of LabVIEW I found out that various VIs were different where they were implementing shape to Region conversions in the diagram in 7.1 and were now calling the nivision.dll for these functions in 8.6. Of course the installed Vision 7.1 DLL did not contain those exports.

It must be the 8.6 installer since I did only install Vision in 8.2 at the time 8.2 got released and had made other modifications in 7.1 on that application since and never installed Vision in 8.5 since I never used that version for much.

The client had to download the Vision Runtime 8.6 from the Website and install it but then got an evaluation dialog despite that the Vision Runtime 7.1 was installed and licensed on that system. Not Good!!!

Rolf Kalbermatter

Sorry, Rolf. I was thinking only of the toolkits owned by the LabVIEW team (Database, Report Gen, VI Analyzer, Internet, etc. etc.) when I made that statement. I didn't think of hardware-related toolkits.

If you haven't already, please report this bug on the NI Forums so the AEs can investigate.

-D

• 1 month later...

For completeness, I am listing the location of the new thread here , complete with CAR# and workaround.

regards

Peter

QUOTE (PeterB @ Dec 17 2008, 03:01 PM)

I'll might start another thread once I get a solution to my annoyance from NI. (short problem description: When building an app in LV 8.6, <vilib>:NIScanEngine\nilvce.dll is not found. The app still builds OK though)

cheers

Peter