How to generate a voltage and transfer to an analog output channel?

zorro

Dear all,

I want to generate a voltage and transfer it to an analog output channel, which is used to trigger another program. Can LabVIEW achieve this goal? Which function should I use? Can I use DAQmx physical channels? It seems that DAQmx physical channels only has input channel. I hope someone can provide some help and any help is appreciated. Thanks at advanced.

Z,

If you go to ni.com you can look up the specifications for the type of DAQ hardware you are using, then you can see what the capabilities of your hardware may be.

It is worth noting that you have provided almost no information which would help someone to answer your question. What hardware are you using? What voltage do you wish to generate? 10 000V? 200 000V? 1V? What other program? On what sort of other hardware?

Good luck,

Mike

QUOTE (zorro @ Aug 5 2008, 03:21 PM)

Ok, there you have it, the DAQ card will generate a signal from 1V to 10V.

I am sure you can contact an application engineer from ni.com and they will help you understand the specs. You should be getting this help if you don't have access to a qualified EE for counseling.

You can ask specifices here and get some help. I would suggest that you make these things as easy as possible, no reason for your benefactors at LAVA to be looking up specs, if you can compile them and show us. Providing links was a great idea.

It is good to know that you have an E Series DAQ board becasue this means the normal recommendations touse DAQmx VI's will be wrong. DAQmx is for M Series hardware. Please do not hesitate to tell us what hardware you have when every you have a question.

Is the receiving hardware the same E Series DAQ card?

It sounds like the generated signal is only a trigger signal. Is this correct? Or is the signal something more complcated.

If you are triggering a progrram that is on the same computer and using the same DAQ card there should be no need to use extrenal wiring to trigger. Generally you would not trigger using analog output generation. Instead you would use a digital ouput which will be 0V to 5VDC. A simple relay or solid state signal amplifier would be used to provide a higher trigger voltage. You can use analog output, but it is possibly more trouble.

Perhaps you could be more specific regarding what you are trying to do.

Mike

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 6 2008, 08:33 AM)

OK. I had a bunch of E Series VI's builtwith Traditional DAQ, when I replaced that board with an M Series I had to redo all the Traditional E Series Vis with DAQmx. I conflated that to get the incorrect idea that DAQmx won't support E Series. But really Traditional DAQ won't support M Series, my mistake. I haven't actually written DAQmx to support E Series so I spoke out of ignorance. Thanks very much for the correction.

Mike

QUOTE (mross @ Aug 6 2008, 07:55 AM)

Thanks very much for the correction.

No worries :) In fact, using DAQmx with E-Series boards exposes some of the functionality in the boards that we couldn't get to with traditional DAQ. I'm grateful that NI spent the time and money to invest in developing DAQmx during the slowdown a few years ago :thumbup:

QUOTE (mross @ Aug 6 2008, 08:55 AM)

OK. I had a bunch of E Series VI's builtwith Traditional DAQ, when I replaced that board with an M Series I had to redo all the Traditional E Series Vis with DAQmx. I conflated that to get the incorrect idea that DAQmx won't support E Series. But really Traditional DAQ won't support M Series, my mistake. I haven't actually written DAQmx to support E Series so I spoke out of ignorance. Thanks very much for the correction.

Mike

Now i am feeling good..

QUOTE (mross @ Aug 5 2008, 05:17 PM)

Ok, there you have it, the DAQ card will generate a signal from 1V to 10V.

I am sure you can contact an application engineer from ni.com and they will help you understand the specs. You should be getting this help if you don't have access to a qualified EE for counseling.

You can ask specifices here and get some help. I would suggest that you make these things as easy as possible, no reason for your benefactors at LAVA to be looking up specs, if you can compile them and show us. Providing links was a great idea.

It is good to know that you have an E Series DAQ board becasue this means the normal recommendations touse DAQmx VI's will be wrong. DAQmx is for M Series hardware. Please do not hesitate to tell us what hardware you have when every you have a question.

Is the receiving hardware the same E Series DAQ card?

It sounds like the generated signal is only a trigger signal. Is this correct? Or is the signal something more complcated.

If you are triggering a progrram that is on the same computer and using the same DAQ card there should be no need to use extrenal wiring to trigger. Generally you would not trigger using analog output generation. Instead you would use a digital ouput which will be 0V to 5VDC. A simple relay or solid state signal amplifier would be used to provide a higher trigger voltage. You can use analog output, but it is possibly more trouble.

Perhaps you could be more specific regarding what you are trying to do.

Mike

Hi, Mike,

"Is the receiving hardware the same E Series DAQ card?"

I have no idea of the receiving hardware now. It is a non-NI equipment. The technical person in that company told me it was compatible with 6036E. But I haven't seen it.

"It sounds like the generated signal is only a trigger signal. Is this correct? Or is the signal something more complcated."

the generated signal is only a trigger signal.

And the 8 digital outputs have to be used for other functions.

Thank you very much for your help. Luckly I get the analog output valtage and I can see it from voltmeter. I can see the change. But I don;t know whether it works well with the new equipment, which I haven;t seen.