What music do you code to?

PaulG.

A quick shuffle through my iPod renders:

Chevelle, Slipknot, Tori Amos, Joe Satriani, Dave Matthews, Sting, Steve Vai, Tool, StaticX, Depeche Mode, Boston, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, a few movements of Sheherazade, Linkin Park, and se radio's interview with Anders Hejlsberg.

Anything not country is fine with me :yes:

Joe Z.

P.S. Anyone know where to get a compilation of Nuno Bettencourt's work without a torrent?

I like mixing anything from cheesy pop to obscure bands.

Here is another selection (I wrote a quick VI to extract a random list):

ABBA, Al Stewart, ELO, Jethro Tull, Ayreon, Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Bill, Black, Bonnie Tyler (yes, I said Bonnie Tyler. What of it?), Boston, the Cardigans, Chris Rea, Bowie, Dido, Echolyn, the Eurythmics, Harry Chapin, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, King Crimson, No Doubt, Paula Cole, Patti Smith, Roxette, Roxy Music, Rush, Sarah Mclachlan, Scissor Sisters, the Scorpions, Squid, Sting, Suede, Suzanne Vega, Ten Jinn, Ultravox, Yngwie Malmsteen, No Doubt, Kashmir, Gentle Giant, Porcupine Tree, Mike Oldfield, Mark Lanegan, the Dukes of Ted (Altenbach's son is their sax player).

By the way, in keeping with the original post, I do actually occasionally select some songs which divert people's attention on purpose. Examples that come to mind include Snow's "informer", M.C. Hammer's "can't touch this", "macarena", bad Eurovision songs and Tom Waits' "the black rider". Usually they can't work then. :laugh:

QUOTE (crelf @ Aug 13 2008, 11:06 PM)

Is there any other kind?

Weeeeelllll...

Actually, there are a few ranging between reasonable and good, assuming you like pop music.

Incidentally, since I mentioned "the black rider", I really should get around to opening an audio editing program and tacking a "Wiiiiiilma!" onto the end of it. :rolleyes:

QUOTE (AnalogKid2DigitalMan @ Aug 14 2008, 11:39 AM)

I tried listening to the Playboy channel via audio stream while coding but found that my BD's kept growing larger than the size of my screen, thus I abandoned that practice. :o

Sounds like the LabVIEW 8.6 "Diagram Cleanup" function arrived just in time... eyebrows.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I must say that Pink Floyd and Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms = Best Album EVER produced) are fine choices but for long sessions on the computer(s) I always cue up several 2 hour mixes of A State Of Trance, hosted by Armin Van Buuren (voted 2007 worlds number 1 DJ).

There's something to be said about my mind state when coding and preferred music genre...trance!

QUOTE (Phil Duncan @ Sep 1 2008, 06:32 PM)

Brothers in Arms = Best Album EVER produced

I can easily think of any number of albums which are better (even by DS), but I agree it's a worthy one.

I noticed that I forgot to mention the most important song I put on:

P.S. Yes, Really.

QUOTE (Phil Duncan @ Sep 1 2008, 06:32 PM)

Thanks, Phil. After having to think about albums which are better I ended up listening to both Scenes From a Memory and War of the Worlds today and now I'm happier. Just hearing Richard Burton saying "No one would have believed, in the last years of the 19th century" makes me more relaxed.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Sep 3 2008, 04:14 AM)

But I saw/heard
tonight and thought it was beautiful and BRILLIANT.

You're right, that is good, although I don't recognize the piece (and I don't like sites which require installing additional plug-ins :angry: . What's wrong with Flash?)

I just discovered Zoë Keating today and immediately liked her stuff well enough to buy her album from iTunes (or, if you prefer, Amazon's MP3 Store, or even the old-fashioned way).

As described by a post on BoingBoing:

"The excellent Radiolab podcast recently featured Zoë Keating, a classiclly-trained cellist who now makes absolutely entrancing loop music in real time using digital samplers. Radio Lab host Jad Abumrad referred to Keating as the 'quantum cellist' and her rich, layered, and haunting music has been described as 'the perfect music for apocalyptic landscapes.'"

So I was looking at my block diagrams, and thinking, "Apocalyptic landscapes? Sounds about right...."

Or maybe I have a thing for cellists with dreadlocks?

QUOTE (crelf @ Sep 3 2008, 06:47 AM)

I agree that The Internet has become something that should be personified
:)

I'll let it be the judge of that.

• 4 months later...