SCC software

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I see most everyone here using TortiseSVN. When I switched jobs about a year ago I was tasked in picking an SCC product for embedded firmware development, LabVIEW\TestStand Verification and Manufacturing development. They were currently using VSS, but were not too attached (luckily). I ended up picking Seapine's Surround SCC as they already were using Seapine's TestTrack product for issue tracking. I looked at subversion, VSS, Perforce, and Surround.

I think the deal breaker was that the VSS to SVN port did not go too smooth and we already had licenses for TestTrack. The VSS to Surround port went great and included all of the history. The downside to Surround is that it is pretty expensive (about the same as Perforce) with yearly maintence cost if you want support and free upgrades.

As far as architecture, performance (especially over VPN), and SCM features (like workflow and branching) I think Surround was the best tool I looked at. Perforce was close but had some issues with LabVIEW environments (reuse in user.lib and project code off of c:\ had to be split up).

That said, if I was working alone I would probably use TortiseSVN.

One question I have for crelf is do you use SVN throughout VIE? If so, do you share code across offices? Do you have one central server, or do you have proxy applications to sync up code bases? Surround came with a proxy server for remote locations which was yet another reason it looked like a good solution. I was wondering if the SVN solution had something like that.

• 3 years later...