Improving the MB icon editor into a LAVA icon editor

QUOTE (JDave @ Aug 26 2008, 01:41 PM)

I was hoping to get some discussion on the points I brought up ... But if nothing else,

What I really want is to know if there is some way to know definitively WHO the icon editor is 'editing'. This would be necessary for allowing things like editing the description. Can someone from NI point us in the right direction here? Is it at least something under consideration for future versions of LabVIEW?

Dave,

From my perspective, I do not expect the icon editor to edit anything but the icon (so editing the icon description is not something I would do there).

And as I mentioned earlier, I think and good icon editor replacement should implement all existing NI icon editor functionalities.

PJM

QUOTE (JDave @ Aug 26 2008, 03:41 PM)

My SubVi fixer uses a special rusty nail event that PJM showed me to find a vi when it is activated. Thats the best I've been able to find.

The Thsa editor has a vi called "Get Reference of Last Active VI"

post-584-1219842939.png?width=400

It is completely specialized and not very resusable. Plus the block diagram is locked so he is doing some kind of NI Vodo that were not allowed to see.

And Later he gets the VI Ref back by calling a GLOBAL VARIABLE :thumbdown:

post-584-1219843108.png?width=400

QUOTE (PJM_labview @ Aug 26 2008, 04:38 PM)

From my perspective, I do not expect the icon editor to edit anything but the icon (so editing the icon description is not something I would do there).

PJM

I would agree with PJM on this one,

If you want to do several different things to a VI : Fix the FP, Set Description, Hide/Show toolbars, and Icon editing then you start with a Main that is designed to do this.

Taking an Icon editor and changing it into a vi editor is not the best way to approach this.

QUOTE (mballa @ Aug 27 2008, 06:29 AM)

I agree that the scripting event is the best that is known out here in the wild. But it doesn't handle situations where it is called through an Invoke Node or from the palette editing area. ThSa even had a comment in his code that handling the Invoke Node was something he hadn't cracked.

QUOTE (mballa @ Aug 27 2008, 06:29 AM)

I would agree with PJM on this one,

If you want to do several different things to a VI : Fix the FP, Set Description, Hide/Show toolbars, and Icon editing then you start with a Main that is designed to do this.

Taking an Icon editor and changing it into a vi editor is not the best way to approach this.

My current Icon Editor does not do this and I agree that cluttering the interface is not desired, but someone had mentioned that they liked this functionality. I can appreciate the convenience of having the two together if it is not intrusive (perhaps a menu option). However, I also like to have the filename of the VI so that I can parse it and auto-generate some text for the icon. It's nice to only have to name the VI once.

• 3 weeks later...