I'm finally even more certifiable!

I haven't received my certificate in the mail yet, but just recently found out that I passed the CLD exam, surprisingly with a much higher score than I received on the CLAD exam.

Woo hoo! I just thought I would share that with you all. After a couple of years more of experience and studying up, I may try for a CLA certification. :)

QUOTE (jgcode @ Aug 13 2008, 04:31 PM)

Thats not nice! :(

That was in no way an attack on BenD (Sorry Ben). I just know I was surprised when I went to take the test. I passed, but there was definitely no sleeping going on. I'm sure there are faster coders out there than me (Darren - where's that video) and some of them may even have some time left at the end, but the exam was much more involved than I expected it to be after having studied the CLD practice exams (not more difficult, just a lot more to get done).

QUOTE (TobyD @ Aug 14 2008, 10:40 AM)

That was in no way an attack on BenD (Sorry Ben). I just know I was surprised when I went to take the test. I passed, but there was definitely no sleeping going on. I'm sure there are faster coders out there than me (Darren - where's that video) and some of them may even have some time left at the end, but the exam was much more involved than I expected it to be after having studied the CLD practice exams (not more difficult, just a lot more to get done).

I agree which is why I failed the first time (made it with flying colors the second try though :D )

QUOTE (TobyD @ Aug 14 2008, 11:40 PM)

I was just messing about.

I know what you are saying. I don't want to talk about the content of the exam (in case we are being watched :unsure: ) only as much to say I think there is a big gap between some of them.

I am not complaining either! But my exam had like an 8 page spec and my colleugues 3 pages! Now thats a big difference and there was a lot of wiring to do. Which is evident from the number of VIs used to get the job done.

And we are both at the same level, and the same speed.

Consquently, they finished around 2hr mark and I took the whole 4hrs.

I also found they same on the practise exams e.g. security was way quicker then the car wash

Please note this is all my opinion and everyone codes differently, at different implementation and different speeds - but I thought it a mention.

QUOTE (jgcode @ Aug 14 2008, 07:40 PM)

But my exam had like an 8 page spec and my colleugues 3 pages!

I'm not going to go into it too much either, but my biggest blue with the CLA is the spec/requirements/whatever. I'm used to correctly formatted requirements documents and specifications, and the one that I got in a recent recert was pretty poor. I found it pretty difficult to wade through to separate the requirements from design suggestions (yes - I've already reported this issue to NI). It's difficult enough putting a comprehensive architecture together when you have to spend a lot of time rewritting the spec to be actual requirements. Disclaimer: my company has a talented group of systems engineers who concentrate on requirements gathering, so once it reaches me it's very well defined, bound and traceble. Maybe I'm just spoilt :)

PS; the CLA recerts (I've done more than I'd care to count) are a lot different to my original certification years ago: a 4 hour essay-based paper (yes: paper! No computer permitted. I'm surprised the assesor could read my handwritting :) )