Web Service Feature in LV 8.6

I have been reading all the info on the new web service feature in 8.6 but have not figured out a few things. I was hoping someone at NI or a beta tester here could answer these questions or point me to the right docs.

1. Can a LV web service be deployed on a machine that does not have the full dev package installed? If so, how does this get done? What RTE components are required?

2. Does the web service run as a system task (in the background and running always if the machine is booted) or does it run under a specific user who must be logged in? How does it get launched?

3. Can a web service VI access information associated with the current user of a machine? (let's say I want to grab a screen shot of the current users session and return it as a MIME stream)

4. What kinds of security setting need to be setup on a machine so the web server will be accessible from another machine on the network? (firewalls, permissions, etc).

5. Do you know of any decent WYSIWYG web page dev tools that would work well with the output from a LV web service and don't require a lot of text code work? (Free would be best).

6. How does a web service deal with multiple simultaneous requests? (with each caller passing different parameters) Can it run reentrantly? Do we have to code it that way?

thanks,

-John

1) "No LV-RunTime required on client-side" was the press release - hence the beauty of this product

Which beats remote panels as you need the smaller RT

But now the trade off is coding in HTML, Javascript, Ajax etc...

Check these and associated links for more info:

http://www.ni.com/labview86/upgrade.htm

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7350

Other if interest:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7749

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7738

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4728

QUOTE (jgcode @ Aug 13 2008, 05:18 PM)

1) "No LV-RunTime required on client-side" was the press release - hence the beauty of this product

Yes I realize that, but I am talking about the server side. Can we deploy a web service server on a machine that does not have the full DEV suite installed? In otherwords, can we deploy Web Services the same way we deploy EXEs?

QUOTE (jlokanis @ Aug 14 2008, 11:03 AM)

Yes I realize that, but I am talking about the server side. Can we deploy a web service server on a machine that does not have the full DEV suite installed? In otherwords, can we deploy Web Services the same way we deploy EXEs?

I believe so. There is a new build specification called RESTful Web Service.

• 5 months later...

QUOTE (jlokanis @ Aug 19 2008, 10:15 PM)

John,

Thanks for stirring up that conversation. It was very enlightening.

I'm curious: have you (or anyone else here at LAVA) had success in deploying web services in LabVIEW? The process seems very non-trivial and I'm wondering if those who have tried it have any advice, best practices, or list of gotchas that they could share.

Thanks,

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Feb 12 2009, 02:28 PM)

John,

Thanks for stirring up that conversation. It was very enlightening.

I'm curious: have you (or anyone else here at LAVA) had success in deploying web services in LabVIEW? The process seems very non-trivial and I'm wondering if those who have tried it have any advice, best practices, or list of gotchas that they could share.

Thanks,

I can't give you an exhaustive list but here are some notes (well at least one worth reading)

1) Property nodes executed prior to the web-srever being fully up do not always work. We were setting the string for a ring control too early and they would not show up. Doing so after the server was running no issues.

2) Whenever possible, find a young co-worker to develop the app. It saved me a lot of headaches.

3) A sign on the side of the equipment cabinet reading something to the effect "Warning! Parking this cabinet over a high pressure steam vent is a very bad idea."

Well at the least the first one was worth sharing.

Ben

QUOTE (neBulus @ Feb 12 2009, 11:40 AM)

I can't give you an exhaustive list but here are some notes (well at least one worth reading)

1) Property nodes executed prior to the web-srever being fully up do not always work. We were setting the string for a ring control too early and they would not show up. Doing so after the server was running no issues.

2) Whenever possible, find a young co-worker to develop the app. It saved me a lot of headaches.

3) A sign on the side of the equipment cabinet reading something to the effect "Warning! Parking this cabinet over a high pressure steam vent is a very bad idea."

Well at the least the first one was worth sharing.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the info.

Would any of your "young co-workers" have any info they'd like to share, too? Or, are they too busy Twittering and Facebooking with thier IM buddies? :laugh:

-Jim

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Feb 12 2009, 03:03 PM)

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the info.

Would any of your "young co-workers" have any info they'd like to share, too? Or, are they too busy Twittering and Facebooking with thier IM buddies? :laugh:

-Jim

Actually he is an XBoxer- call of Duty type. I asked him to think about writting something up after he started to rattle off a buch of stuff but stopped and said, It's really complicated!". He did say he would try to put something together.

Ben

QUOTE (neBulus @ Feb 12 2009, 01:07 PM)

Actually he is an XBoxer- call of Duty type. I asked him to think about writting something up after he started to rattle off a buch of stuff but stopped and said, It's really complicated!". He did say he would try to put something together.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for asking him.

> "It's really complicated!"

All the more reason for us to be sharing our info :)

Thanks,

-Jim